Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Bricked Torch 9860

I've used about every avenue for resolution I could discover and I'm hoping this will be the right place... Hell, at this point, being loyal to BB for the past several years, even some sort of response would be really nice! Here goes....

A year ago I purchased an unlocked BB Torch 9860. Last month, after having the device for about a year to the day, I had to do a battery pull which resulted in the device not completing the boot cycle. It bricked itself from a simple battery pull... Something every BB user knows you must do a couple times a week. ...A flippin battery pull

I have reached out to RIM via my RIM client contact through my job but got nothing more than "check with your carrier to see what they can do." Well, I already knew the answer to that was "Nothing...!" The device wasn't purchased through my carrier, so what do they care. Upgrade to Android is always the solution.
  I have also reached out to help@rim.com only to receive an instantaneous relpy that my message was not sent and I should try a support group...........

I have tried about three times now, all unsuccessfully, to reload software on my own to no avail and this past Saturday, took it to a cell phone shop that specializes in smartphone repair. After going through a 2 hour process, they also were unable to get the device to complete the boot cycle. The phone will not even enter into safe mod as I've tried that more times than I can count.

I'm devastated that I trusted in RIM enough to spend $600 on what is now a fancy paperweight. it does not seem I am able to contact any kind of support through the "contact us" section of the website because I am not an enterprise user and the only outlet there seems to be, are various forums where loyal BB users can get together for a B!#&h session with no real resolution from RIM.

Here is the closest thing I could find to the issue I am experiencing:

"Across the board, users have been calling into their tech support centers complaining that their Bold 9930 or Torch 9850 has literally died... We’ve heard others have had issues with their GSM twins too, the Bold 9900 and Torch 9860. Basically, the devices brick themselves to death with only the red LED light to blink on and off. The devices won’t even properly connect to Desktop Manager in attempt to reload the OS."

http://n4bb.com/rim-report-issue-blackberry-7-hardware-failure/

If anyone has found or heard of any resolution, please let me know as I would truly love nothing more than to use my BB again...

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Bricked Torch 9860

Are you over 1 year?

warranty:

http://www.blackberry.com/legal/warranty/handheld.shtml

I am going to ask my friend jsanders for a recommendation on this.

My Device: Z10-STL100-4
My Carrier: Verizon

I just went thru this. Started on the 1st. I have over 18 hrs and 4 days with RIM s tech support at VZWs expense. Exact same thing I did a random reboot after AM to free up some memory and it stuck 3/4 way thru reboot. RIM finally got it working again 3 different times but eventually it locked up in the same place on the reboot line. They finally concluded it was bad RAM???? We confirmed it by installing 3 free never before loaded apps from app world on my phone with reboots in between each one and the 3rd one locked it up. RIM finally talked to VZW and then transferred to me and she listened and said she would do everything she could to get her boss to okay a Certified Refurbished phone. I got the okay yesterday and it's now in my hands with no cost to me and up and running. It only has 90 days but thats better than I had. Just hope this doesn't go FUBAR again. Next time for $2 a month I will buy the extended warranty,not to be confused with the Insurance. 

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Well, actually you DO have support through RIM if you'd followed your RIM contact's advice. You call ATT, get the issue escalated up to RIM level tech support. That simple. Even if you didn't buy the device from ATT, you ARE paying them for monthly service, which includes support.

You probably don't have warranty on the hardware, since it was purchased elsewhere and unlocked. Fairly common, but that was your choice when you purchased the device, likely from an unauthorized retailer.

What to do now....

1. Call ATT tech support as suggested and get the issue escalated up to RIM level tech support.

2. Because this is a Community Support Forum, you're correct, you can't contact RIM support through this forum. This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. I'll be cruelly honest... some of the folks around here know more than many of the ATT techs and RIM techs as well.

3. Sorry for the problem. I know you're frustrated, but remember, this is user support forum. Bashing RIM won't be taken lightly around here.

If you need help here, please ask.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I

Oh in my many conversations with RIM tech support, there are only a handfull of companies that allow you to have your phone repaired by RIM. AT&T was mentioned as your carrier, but you show T-MOBILE on the left side of the screen and a Storm 1.  So if you have AT&T get them to autorize you to send it in or maybe AT&T does it for you? VZW doesn't allow that. They want you to buy their warranty and Insurance, or your SOL. I will buy the warranty on my next Smartphone. If you can get AT&T to hand you off to RIM tech support do that. Be sure it is anywhere North of the States. I got a mexican in southern Mexico I could barely understand, then a guy in Dallas. Neither knew much about what they were doing. My Comps.HD had failed a couple of weeks earlier so all my BB Desktop mgr and associated files were lost. It wasn't until I got to RIM in Nova Scotia that I realized there was no app loader.

Good luck I hope you make out well. If not there are some on Ebay new and used. My cosmetics were great and I thought about getting a ugly looking one, but as beat up as a couple of these were they probably are messed up inside as well.   I know there are some for around $200 to $250 new in the box, except I was looking at 9850 where you want a 9860.    

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Solutions: 6,118
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

LCromwell wrote:

. AT&T was mentioned as your carrier, but you show T-MOBILE on the left side of the screen and a Storm 1. 

All that is pretty irrelevant as the user clearly states he has a 9860 Torch. Good question about ATT or Tmobile.

Either way, RIM should be able to handle the tech support once the call is escalated, or the user can always get assistance in this forum... in this thread.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you to everyone for your input. I contacted T-Mobile once again and remained insistent they escalate me to RIM this time which they did. RIM walked me through the motions of updating software and after 2 hours on the line with them, still nothing. It is a hardware issue and because I am out of the 1 yr warranty period, well, they are sincerely sorry. The RIM rep was great and really tried everything he could think of, but someone in this thread eluded to it best... poor quality is poor quality. I've had my fair share of Blackberries and through it all, will continue to deal with the minor (and major) frustrations simply because I like their product (overall) the best. I'm still very disappointed in what happened with my Torch, but am moving on to a Bold this week. Thanks again everyone, and I hope my next posts are about BB 10 and how to best utilize NFC... Which should be enabled with T-Mobile now, right?? (Fingers crossed!)
Forums Advisor I

Oh this is really sounding like a continuing problem with RIMS Torch 9850 & 9860 and maybe the 9800 as well. I went thru 18 hrs over 3 days in a row only to be told the same thing its a hardware problem,the RAM! VZW finally came thru with a refurbished phone 9850. Next time, I will buy the extended warranty. Its only $1.99 a month. I am seeing more and more posts herd about the same issues. RIM Tech support gets it to work but within hrs it dies again. All so far are just past the one year RIM warranty.