Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

mellymoo80
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860

Broken Screen

Hello all, I have a blackberry torch 9860 and my phone has a broken screen and now has only half a screen and  is now unusable, it isn't insured by my contract provider, any help would be appreciated please.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
billbuck0
My Device: Rotary Phone

Re: Broken Screen

Depends?.....did you drop the phone and break the screen?  Than NO, it would not be covered.  Only if its manufacturer defect.   But wouldn't hurt to check with your service provider.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eretrey
My Device: torch 9810
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RedRockSA
My Device: BB Torch 9800

Re: Broken Screen

My wife recently went through a similar case with "The White Screen of Death" on her Bold 9780

Not wanting to incur too high a cost I watched a few videos on YouTube on the subject and established that it was a connector problem (which some claim to resolve by holding the "P" key down when in actual fact it just happens to be where the LCD connector joins the circuit board & is no cure)

The reason why I'm telling ypu all this is because if you are moderately handy, brave enough to try & intelligent enough to take the time to watch & learn from videos on the subject - you could do this youirself for minimal cost. (especially if not covered)

First off -

• Go to YouTube now and  search using your phone details & problem. .
  • Watch a few from beginning to end.
  • Get comfortable with one or two of the repairers & their manner 
    • (not so much better than others but better at explaning in a way suited to you)
  • Watch the video a couple of times until confident, then follow them through to the LCD screen removal.
    • - as you will need the code printed on the back when ordering.
  • Armed with this code go to eBay and purchase the correct screen.and replace it as shown.

TIPS

• Use a plastic type tool to seperate parts as they won't scratch.
    • (in a pinch cut an old credit card into a 'tool')
    • I used a cheap plastic tool that came with electric hair clippers - 2.5 cm long with a small brush one end & a screwdriver wedge on the other.
  • Don't force or rush anything, if you're not certain watch that part again or another for clarity.

• As you remove parts place them in order of removal on a specific set-aside area
    • Take note of parts that MUST be put back before others or risk doing a take down again.
    • Good example being the little volume & function switches on the sides, they are small & just sit in place they often drop off  when you aren't looking & can not be put back after the cover ..

Go for it - you can do it!

If this post and/or any other helps you, please click the 'thumbs-up' button of the post(s) that did so.
found your cure? - indicate this by tagging the relevant helping post/s with "Solution!"
Please use plain text.