Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
SergeSC
My Device: Torch 9860

Broken phone, less than 1 year old within warranty.

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I'll let pictures speak for themselves.

http://imgur.com/a/FUXFF#0

Phone fell to the ground. LED display was broken and digitalizer scratched, rendering the phone useless while the replacement parts arrived. Once those 2 parts were replaced, and the device powered on, the image was found to be mirrored both horizontally and vertically; rendering the phone, again, completely unusable.

This type of damage, from such a high-end device, bought the 1st of November 2011, from SFR (Vodafone France), on a device that's less than 1 year old is unacceptable. 

I had a quick informal exchange with someone working at RIM who mentioned the phone should still be within the warranty, as it is not even a year. The damage, apparently, coming from the technician that did the repairs on the screen is on the mainboard, which cannot be fixed without basically replacing the phone itself. The technician even claimed it is a defect of the model, but I can't confirm nor deny such claim.

All I know is that I'm without my phone, because the screen cannot be used without getting a headache. The touch controls respond as if everything was perfect, the displayed imaged however is not showing as it should.

Who should I contact to send in the phone to see if it qualifies for a replacement within warranty, or if there is a fix to this issue?

Your help is much appreciated. I want to continue to believe in Blackberry, as I've used BBs for 5 years, but right now, I'm discouraged.

Thank you,

SergeA picture says 1000 words

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Broken phone, less than 1 year old within warranty.

Warranty for the device is through your carrier. However, physical damage is not usually covered by warranty. Additionally, having the phone "repaired" by anyone other than the carrier that warranties the device usually voids the warranty.

That being said, I'm not sure how you dropping the phone makes RIM responsible for the damage, though.

Contact your carrier. Good luck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
SergeSC

I'm not 100% certain it's a drop. I'm assuming it is, because I cannot think of any other situation in which a force is enough to break a display, but not the cover, and cause internal damages.

The phone was left inside my father's wife purse. When I got the phone back, it was turned off due to low battery. Plugged it in, and powered it up as usual to find the display cracked and broken. I have to assume it fell or something hit it pretty badly to create such damage. I won't try to recreate it however to actually find out what happened to it.

Phone is out of contract from the carrier, as the contract was canceled shortly before this happened.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Unfortunately, the carrier that you purchased it from is where your warranty channel is. I wish I had a better answer but that is how the system works.

As I mentioned, even if you are within the warranty period and with the same carrier, the warranty is probably void since the device has been disassembled and repaired--they can tell when it's been apart. I've heard of this mirrored issue before and it's usually a hardware problem, as you've already been made aware of by the repair facility you took it to.

I hate to say it but you are probably out of luck on this one. Wish I had something better to tell you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
SergeSC

So this issue has happened before on other models?

Well, such a shame I lost my beautiful phone this easily.
Guru I
John_Clark

Yes, it's rare but it's happened before. I have not seen any solution for it.