Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Browser broken when connected to private wifi network

Hi,

When I connect my 9860 to a private wifi network, i.e. a network that only assigns link-local IP addresses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address), or a wifi network that does not provide gateway and DNS servers the BlackBerry browser no longer functions.

The problem is that it is still trying to route intenet requests through the wifi instead of the 3G connection even though the wifi shows no route to the internet.

By definition with link-local, "Routers do not forward packets with link-local addresses", so the BlackBerry should not try to send internet bound data through this network. Also if there is no gateway specified in the network setup I don't even know where the BlackBerry is trying to route the data.

The iPhone handles this properly by sending internet data through the 3G and data to the link-local machines through the wifi. Any ideas on how to make the BlackBerry act like the iPhone or is this simply a bug in the BB OS that can't be fixed?