Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
adventureboy
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Browser over WiFi not working..

Hi, I am connecting to my home network.  It is encrypted and the passkey has been accepted.  I show full connection on the WiFi indicator and the Service status shows connected to my SID and active.  Neither the browser or the apps will use the connection.  The apps that have a choice will fail on the connection using WiFi but succeed when using my cellular data provider.  All apps fail if my cellular data service is disabled.  It simply does not use the WiFi connection even though it appears connected successfully.

Thx for you help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Hi, I had that issue before and got sorted out. Let's make one excersize to find out how your Torch behaves. Keeping your wifi fully connected and using the trackpad move to the top of your torch and click on the tab with time & carrier zone, opening the connections zone. roll down to service status and click on it to open.
If on the areas of Blackberry Internet services & Blackberry Enterprise Server, "Wi-Fi" is shown, at the same time at the lower part showing Wi-Fi Network, it should show the details of your home network.
If this is the case, then you definitely using Wi-Fi connectivity when accessing your browser, apps and so on.
Let us know
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventureboy

Hi Abdalla, many thanks for your help. As I mentioned, the status appears to be successfully connected to my WiFi network however the torch does not use it. If I disconnect from my 3G provider, I can't even browse to a basic site. Also, I am playing with VOIP applications on my Torch - they will not connect if I have WiFi active (indicates no connection). If I disable WiFi, these applications connect through 3G no problem. This Torch does not use the WiFi even though it indicates a successful connection.
Please use plain text.
RickyBobby
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Telus

Has this issue ever been resolved?

RB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventureboy

I have not seen a solution yet that works.  Apparently the Torch cannot use WIFI regardless of the indicator.

Please use plain text.
RickyBobby

I have the bold 9780 and it is doing the same thing. I like BB but if they dont start making it simple & easy they are going to end up kissing their own **bleep** goodbye. All I want is my browser to work when connected to a wifi is that to much to ask for? I get more use out of my Ipod touch than I do my phone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BB_DSM
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: SETAR N.V.

I had the same problem trying to connect thru Wifi. The browser would only work when Wifi is turned off. I did some try outs with my Wifi Router and the only way the browser would work with Wifi is to have your router/modem Wifi Security set to WPA-PSK network authentication with TKIP Encryption. It will not work with WPA2-PSK at all. Shame on RIM for not updating their Wifi protocols OS 6! 

Btw I did not have this problem with my BB Javelin 8900 with OS 4 neither 5.

Hope this may be of help for you

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BB_DSM
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: SETAR N.V.

I had the same problem trying to connect thru Wifi. The browser would only work when Wifi is turned off. I did some try outs with my Wifi Router and the only way the browser would work with Wifi is to have your router/modem Wifi Security set to WPA-PSK network authentication with TKIP Encryption. It will not work with WPA2-PSK at all. Shame on RIM for not updating their Wifi protocols OS 6! 

Btw I did not have this problem with my BB Javelin 8900 with OS 4 neither 5.

Hope this may be of help for you

Please use plain text.
RickyBobby

I am so dissappointed in RiM. Wish they would get there act together.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zeenery
My Device: Z10

A COMMUNICATION FAILURE HAS OCCURRED. THE SERVER MAY BE BUSY, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SERVICE VENDOR

I too am having the same problem. I have a Torch 9800 which has been great up until about 3 weeks ago. All data transfers over wifi are fine except for browsing the internet. I have seen this problem posted on many forums some as old as 2009 but no on ever seems to have an answer. The RIM online help thing is useless and the Orange tech support site is even worse 

Today I upgraded the OS to 6.0.0.668 thinking this would solve it. No change. Very frustrated.

PLEASE RIM HELP US OUT.

P.S. The main reason I bought my 9800 was that we were told that Flash would be part of BB6. A year later and still no release date. I  am approaching the time when my phone company will upgrade my phone. At this time I will be taking a serious look at defecting to Apple especially if this is not solved

GRRRR!

Please use plain text.