Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
mlopesmm
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Browser over WiFi not working..

Hi there..

I was running a few tests to see check speed of my browser on my home network over ATT.  When I disable the Mobile Network and enable wifi to my home network, I get an error in my browser "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication". 

I connected successfully to my home network as shown by status on top of home screen.  Is there another setting I need to select to 'force" use of my home network?  I used to have this in my BOLD settings under browser options, but from what I read the connection switch is supposed to happen automatically on the Torch browser. 

Any help would be great!

Thx. 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kevin651
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT & T

Re: Browser over WiFi not working..

I was running into the same problem and found that when speaking with an AT&T tech that if you go into your "Manage Connection" icon, click on "Set Up Wi-Fi Network", scroll to and click on "Saved Wi-Fi Networks", this will open your current networks that are available and you now have the option to move your available networks in any order you wish.  Now with the network connection it will search in the order of your available networks in the list and I personally found that my home and AT&T Wi-Fi's were at the bottom of my list of available networks and once I moved them to the top two solved this issue on slow no connection for me. 

Now my issue that I am finding with the "internet / browser" is that I have to zoom in several times on each page to view.  I have attempted to load several different browsers and to my dismay none will load, any suggestions on this issue.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mlopesmm
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Great news!  That was exactly it..  Moving my home network up on the list made it use that connection first.  Now if I only could get my media player working.. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Hi

I read about your problem; I am not suyre whether you got it solved, however, I have something similar.

I got my phone new and had no time to get a data package, however, I hooked to my private networks without any problem.

However, my carier, Orange, seems to have its own WAP configuration, therefore, when I switch off my Mobile Carier data switch and try to use my wi-fi to access my borwser, it says that I have no connection.

When I switch the data option on, the browser opens. So, it seems that the broweser uses Orange setting and not my wifi

I have checked all options that I know off, but I have no way to detect why my browser does use my wifi to access the internet!!

Is there a way to know for sure or to block off Orange settings and use the wifi to access the internet?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
anupb123
My Device: Blackberry Torch

I am facing the exact same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Please use plain text.
aharain1965
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis

Have you able to solve this problem? I'm experiencing the same problem now. Please advise.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventureboy
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, this seems to be a common problem with the Torch.  I also cannot access anything through WiFi.  It is showing active on the home screen however if I disable my service provider connection, I cannot browse using the connected WiFi network.  It would seem we need a solution.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla

With the recent os update, the problem is no more valid and my Wi-Fi accessibility is as fast as my Mac Wi-Fi access. I suppose there must have been a bug that was fixed in updates.

Would be worthwhile to keep OS updated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventureboy
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, I am running V6.0.0.534 - that is the most recent version available to me but it still does not work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla

Hi, are you trying to connect using a free wifi or encrypted one? if encrypted, you will have to connect manually with password.
Please use plain text.