Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Stshipana
My Device: touch 9800

Browser problems

Hello, am using a blackberry touch 9800. I've got problems with downloading anything from my internet browser but everything I download fails. I tried installing them UC browsers, which the Version 7.8 was okay, slow but had no download errors till I upgraded to 8.1... It takes hours downloading and ends up failing. Tried going back to 7.8 but gives me the same problems that 8.1 is giving me. Please help.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Browser problems

I have read that MTN was planning to throttle its BIS data customers.

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2012/11/mtn-to-possibly-throttle-blackberry-internet-usage/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Tinie
My Device: blackberry torch - 9800

"Ok this has been going on for a while now. The first time I got my blackberry. My download speed was amazing. I was @ 500Kbps now its so slow I could make a full sunday dish and wash the dishes after that. My word I've been complaining about the download speed for 2 weeks now and I am not getting any answers. I wanna switch phones (to an iPhone) now because this 9810 aint poppin no more. Apparently I aint the only one in South Africa complaining bout it. Please fix the download speed and now bbm display pictures aren't changing. *smh this is another level of "REVOLTING" Blackberry fix ur gadgets or u gonna lose ur loyal customers & i happen to be one of them.
Forums Advisor I
LCromwell
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

I have great download speed with the BB 9850 / 9860 all touch like the I-Phone.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
JSanders

LCromwell wrote:
I have great download speed with the BB 9850 / 9860 all touch like the I-Phone.

Yep, but we're not in South Africa or on MTN.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Tinie

Apparently South Africa has the highest internet rates world wide! How can MTN possibly lower download speed, ripping us of priviliges given by BB/RIM! Blackberry aint a Blackberry without BIS/fast downloading speed. They are going to loose customer with the new iphone 5 out on the market. I bet the iphone4 is better than the torch 9810 I have when it comes to downloading now.
JSanders

And, to top it off, BIS data is compressed, there's less of it to consume bandwidth. '

I get the feeling your MTN folks there are somewhat shortsighted.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Tinie

This is the email I received from MTN after my enquiry. "Thank you for contacting the MTN BlackBerry Support Team,streaming and downloading has been throttled as this fall outside the parameters of the intended usage for Black Internet Services. This includes streaming and downloading on adult sites, HTTP streaming, HTTP downloads, HTTP Audio, Peer 2 Peer and You Tube.Our latest usage statistics indicates that there users using BIS outside the parameters of the ‘intended’ usage. This results in a compromised data experience for the rest of the internet users. Due to a small percentage of users who are using BIS for purposes for which it is not intended MTN has decided to start implementing its T&C’s"
New Contributor
Tinie

Please this article which I have provided a link on.Blackberry will loose customers in South Africa and with the BB10 soon to enter the market. It might not do well with sales. http://www.techcentral.co.za/crackdown-irks-mtn-blackberry-clients/36167/
JSanders

Agreed, but this is not something which RIM has control over.

You need to complain to MTN. They control their network, RIM does not.

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration.

Knowledge Base Updates