Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Torch 9800

Call volume is very low

Bought Torch 9800 yesterday and found that the call volume is very low. Even at 100% volume (Which is the maximum), you can barely hear anything, especially when you are at a crowded place..The volume is so faint that even on speaker you cant hear clearly..Is there any fix for this problem or have I purchased a faulty piece??

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Call volume is very low

What is your Operating System loaded to your device?
Look at Options > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.6.x.xxx"
What is yours?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same issue. Version 6.0.0.246 for mine.
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OS version 6.0.0.337 is the latest officiall released for the 9800

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=F466E84E4D899DDA09BE2BF2D3D7ECE3

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Not Specified

Will give .337 a try.  I am running .284 and have the same problem.  The call/music  volume will drop without me touching the volume controls.  This happens almost everytime, wether i am using the handset, speaker or headphones.  A quick fix is pressing down on the volume and then up again.  I've had this issue with almost all OS versions for the Torch.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

This doesn't work.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Is this a gain issue which is software related?  If so, then a software update may fix the issue if RIM so chooses ...

If this low call volume issue is cross-f/w then it could be hardware-related. Maybe some batch of bad/super-cheap mics used in manufacturing.

Honestly, between this phone and the 9780, there are enough hardware issues that would put off a lot of people from RIMs offerings.

I just don't get it. Hardware QUALITY used to be RIMs hallmark... tough, solid, reliable units. What happened to quality????