Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Al_edwards1980
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Camera not working all of a sudden

Hi all,

I tried to take a photo yesterday only to find that when I select the camera on my phone I just have a blank screen and the camera icon is shaded grey and cannot be pressed?

I still get the geo tagging icon and the flash / scene mode icons and am able to use them just not the capture icon.

I have had a range of different messages come up telling me that another app is using the camera etc and when I select video camera I get the message 'Another application is using the camera, Cannot start video camera viewfinder.'

I have run the self test (which was a bit pointless) and it just confirmed that the camera was not working.

I have tried pulling the battery with the phone turned on but this did not solve anything.

Had my phone plugged in on charge all of last night and when I woke up this morning and turned it on I checked the camera again and it appeared to be working!

I was able to take one pic and then I just got the blank screen again and have not been able to get it to work again since.

I have not added any apps recently or made any changes to the phone and this seems to have happened completely at random as I have done nothing out of the ordinary.

Would really like to solve this without having to remove and re install the OS if possible but its not looking good.

Blackberry Torch 9800

6.0 Bundle 2647 (v6.0.0.600 , Platform 6.6.0.223)

Look forward to any help anyone can offer.

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Camera not working all of a sudden

Hi Al_edwards1980,

Sorry to hear about the issue with your camera application. This KB article shoud provide more information on the issue. "Could not launch camera application" error appears when opening the camera on the BlackBerry smartphone. http://bbry.lv/Kz6zDH

Since you have already tried reinserting the battery and are also having other issues and errors with the camera, I would recommend actually doing a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software. Make sure to backup all of your data first, as this process will remove it.  For further instructions, please see the following KB articles.
For Windows®: "How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows" http://bbry.lv/GI9beY
For Mac: "Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer" http://bbry.lv/J0UN1U

If this does not resolve the issue, then I would suggest contacting your network provider for other options available.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
Al_edwards1980
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Camera not working all of a sudden

Thanks for the advice but for some reason the 9th / 10th (I lost count) battery pull that I did seems to have done the trick.
Left the battery out for nearly an hour and camera has been ok since!
Appreciate your response and advice though