Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
ettolrahc
My Device: 9800 Torch

Can't access App World on wifi??

Hey guys, just noticed something. Whenever i'm on wifi and i go into app world, it says "there is an issue with app world. app world will now close." 

But when i off the wifi and back on data, its running ok. I then pause my download, head back to home screen, on the wifi and continue download. 

So why is it that way?

Contributor
clogdiver
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Re: Can't access App World on wifi??

You could be waiting for a long time for an answer.  WiFi is pretty unreliable in general on the Torch. RIM dont seem to monitor or reply to the forum. I would be interested in if they even monitor the forums.   Luckily the ordinary 3G service picks up quite well. I find its just easier to live with WiFi turned off permanently and have a unlimited data contract.

New Contributor
ettolrahc

**bleep**......

Oh well. Thanks anyway =)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Actually, the latest version of AppWorld does even not run over WiFi in my experience. Though the message I receive from AppWorld is different from yours, I confirmed it by doing this:

1. Turn off carrier data network
  2. Ensure that BIS is running over WiFi (web browse, send/receive emails, etc.)
  3. Launch AppWorld
  4. Error message -- something about no data network available
  5. Close AppWorld
  6. Turn carrier data network back on
  7. See that BIS continues to run over WiFi (via Manage Connections, Service Status)
  8. Launch AppWorld
  9. All is well

I suspect that, in your case, the pause you do (to turn WiFi back on) is actually irrelevant...I suspect that your download continues via your carrier data network, even though WiFi is available.

It is odd that you receive a different error message...but the circumstances seem similar. Have you upgraded AppWorld to the latest version (2.1.0.39)?

Now...the next logical question everyone would have is "why"? My theories (I can have no access to authoritative data on this) are thus:

1. To enable carrier-based payments
  2. To help enforce country-specific restrictions

Again, those are just my guesses.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ettolrahc

Hey thanks for reply.

Actually yea i noticed it after downloading a couple more stuff. Speed is the same with or without wifi. 

And i do have the latest version of App World.

So i guess i might blow my 3GB data plan this month

Contributor
clogdiver

Oh yes sorry. App World 100% does not work with WiFi. The latest and greatest version should have a pop up that tells you that your network is turned off.

Contributor
clogdiver

I doubt if you will blow 3Gb of data even if most of your emails have attachments. App World progs are only a few MB's.   If you are connecting to laptop and replicating from lotus notes or outlook then you might if you are a heavy user. That would be serious surfing to pull 3Gb's

New Contributor
ettolrahc

yea the pop up would be a great solution. For a moment i thought i destroyed the BB, having switch from an iPhone.

Thank so much =)

plid8800
My Device: torch9800/bold9700

i just figured out that if you put in a data enabled chip (borrow from a friend) and sign in to your blackberry id thru appworld, it will download some service books and id updates, then replace the chip with your own non enabled chip, turn on ur wifi, and away you go!  all functions and apps work on wifi thru appworld. 

New Contributor
rontegp
My Device: blackberry 8520

are you sure ? and it is necessary to change the chip? what if i enable data services on my sim and then download some service books and id updates and then diable the data services and try using wifi?