Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

ayushigudwani
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Airtel

Cannot Browse Internet Using WIfi on Blackberry torch

Hi all,

I am connect to my home router using WIfi. It shows good signal strength. However, I cannot browse Internet. When I click on bb browser, it says cannot connect to server, check with your operator (When Data services are kept off) What shoud I do... OS 6 for torch does not have option of choosing the Hotspot browser in browser settings?  

How to do i browse internet using wifi? Also, what applications can I use with Wifi and what all will not work? I am on Airtel network, in India.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
yee_fun
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Cannot Browse Internet Using WIfi on Blackberry torch

you may need to enable data services

to do this, go to manage connections > checkmark wi-fi

mobile network options > turn data services on & turn roaming off

to my knowledge that lets u use wi-fi without consuming EDGE data.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mdikesr
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: ATT

On yourhome screen on your torch, scroll down to a tower icon that says under it: manage connections. Once you are at the manage your connections page check or highlight the wi-fi option. Scroll down on the same page and select set up wi-fi network. Follow the on screen prompts. Your devise will show all available wi-fi connections in your area. Select the wi-fi connection that best suits you and you are set to go. If your wireless system at your home has a pass word you will need to enter it after you select that wi-fi connection. When you are done your devise will save this setting and you won't have to set it up again. You will automatically connect to wi-fi when you get home. Hope this helps. Mike:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lostvampire
My Device: Not Specified

I had the same problem in OS 6 on Sprint 9650 and this is how I fixed it. Goto Settings>Device>Advanced Systems Settings>TCPIP and uncheck the APN and everything in there. Save the new settings. Please note down the original settings in case you need to revert

After doing the above, I was able to browse using wifi for a minute but it stopped after that. I went into settings and noticed that the APN had turned back ON. This happens automatically and it is a pain to uncheck it every few minutes.

I do not have any IT policy so I do not know why my BB behaves this way. Anyway I am going to call the Sprint technical support and hopefully they will connect me to Blackberry tech otherwise, I am moving away from BB.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Some quick information regarding this topic.

In OS 6, the user no longer has the option of choosing which browser to use; the BlackBerry phone will choose automatically to ensure the best browser is being used for specific applications.

If you're having trouble connecting via WiFi, it could be that you don't have a BlackBerry data plan.  In order to use BlackBerry services via WiFi, be it the BB Browser, Facebook, Twitter, etc., you must have an adequate BlackBerry data plan with your carrier.  Please note that your network connection doesn't have to be active to surf with WiFi but you must have a BlackBerry data plan on your account to proceed.

I hope this sheds some light on this discussion.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lostvampire
My Device: Not Specified

Please read my comments above carefully. I mention that BB works through the APN so, I do have a BB data plan. Trouble is that BB only works through Carrier data. The moment I turn ON WiFi, the Browser and most other apps stop working. BB should not be advertising the WiFi feature when most apps cannot work on WiFi, including the Browser.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Most apps do work over WiFi, including the browser, when used on a BlackBerry phone with a proper BlackBerry data plan.  The advertising is correct.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MizzVip
My Device: Torch

I'm still lost beause I have the same problem.

I have a data plan and if I want to use the Wifi on the browser I get the same message.

Torch phone with AT&T carrier

Do I have to turn off the roaming and keep the data services on? Would it use only Wifi that way? Why can't I browse the internet?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
volcob007
My Device: Blackberry torch
My Carrier: globe telecom

I tried using the browser with wifi and as expected it won't work without data plan (in contrast with OS 5) "its wrong advertisement..." I agree.. I'm considering moving to android because of that. BB is forcing its OS6 users to pay for unnecessary data plans although wifi is available
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bornleader
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Ufone

M using Bold 9780, its impossible to browse via WiFi without data plan...
But i cant get y need a data plan, when WiFi is available.

Please use plain text.