Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
tdsrogers81
My Device: Torch 9800

Cannot access social media apps

Hi,

I am unable to access social media apps such as Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin from my Blackberry Torch. An error message appears stating the the specified server cannot be accessed at this time.

Is anyone else having the same problem and does anyone have any advice on what I can do to access the apps?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Cannot access social media apps

Let's get the basics ruled out first.  Do you have a BlackBerry data plan as opposed to just a normal data plan?  A BlackBerry data plan is required to access the apps you mentioned.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tdsrogers81

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

As far as I know I don't have a BlackBerry data plan but Ive been able to access Linkedin from my device before. I haven't attempted to access Twitter and Facebook until recently so I am not sure whether the denied access error messages co-incide with not being able to access Linkedin.

How do I find out if I have a BlackBerry data plan? Would I know if I had it as part of my contract? Sorry if this is a stupid question but Im not even aware of such a data plan.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

FYI here is a generic description of different data plan tiers and what that means for available BB services:

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say anything more definite. With hundreds of carriers in the world with dozens of variations on these three generic tiers, it's impossible to keep up with them all. But, if you check, in "Manage Connections", the "Services Status" screen, it will tell you if you are connected to BlackBerry Internet Service...that is the actual service that enables the BB-proprietary services. However, just having it say that it is connected still won't answer what level of BIS services you have available to you. Only your carrier can answer that.

What I always advise is that folks decide on the services they want (e.g., PUSH Email, Web Browsing, FB client, etc.) and then talk to their carrier about enabling the proper service plan (at whatever fees, btw) is needed to make that happen.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tdsrogers81

Ok thanks for the info. I must be on a generic data plan because I can access all that is stated in that particular tier.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.