Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

OdysseyInc
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange UK & Vodafone ES

Cannot connect my Blackberry Torch 9800 to BIS

Hi, got a phone on contract with Orange (UK) in 2011 and the contract has since run out and i am living in Spain and have a Vodafone (ES) sim card in.. i have been travelling between the 2 countries the whole time and using both sim cards with BIS. I recently bought a mifi and was intending to run my blackberry from that as to not pay the 4euros weekly to register to a data plan but it seems i cannot do this. Do i still need to pay the weekly fee even though my mifi is running an internet plan or do i have to register the sim in the mifi to BIS/BES?

please shed some light on this for me

thank you

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Cannot connect my Blackberry Torch 9800 to BIS

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

For specifics regarding exact services, payments, and such, you really have to talk to the carriers involved. There are hundreds in the world, each with dozens of different data plans...it's pretty much impossible to state with any clarity what one specific one would do in any specific case here.

But, in general -- BIS is required so as to activate access to the BB proprietary services (BBM, native email via Messages, etc.). Generic data plans do not activate those services, and hence they cannot be used on the BB. I've no idea if a mifi could be subscribed to BIS and pass that service through to a BB...I rather doubt it since BIS is associated to the BB PIN, which would be inaccurate for the mifi device (if it's even a BB device...I've no idea).

But, again, you'd need to talk to your carrier about if/how your specific configuration could work with their data plan requirements.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.