Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
vora
My Device: Torch 2 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

Cannot switch off new Torch 9810

Hi,

I have recently bought a Torch 2 (9180) phone with OS 7 from a retailer in India. However, I have been facing some problems from day 1 of the purchase. A summary of some problems is as under:

1. On clicking power off icon or pressing power off button, the phone does not shut down completely. It goes in somewhat standby mode and by just pressing the power button again, the phone starts as if only the screen had been turned off, i.e. the processor still keeps on working. Is it normal for OS 7 users because a friend has 9800 with OS 6 and it switches off completely on pressing the power off button and boots again when the power button is kept pressed? Also, if this is true for OS 7, then is battery pull the only way to completely switch off the phone?

2. The screen has stopped rotating automatically without disabling it!

3. The led light (white coloured) keeps on continuously flashing and drains a lot of battery life. I am unable to switch it off.

4. The phone has started hanging/freezing for 10-20 seconds each time I want to use any app.

Can anybody please help me with the above issues?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Cannot switch off new Torch 9810

Let me start by saying that I have no experience with OS 7 phones yet, but I'm going to respond anyway.  :smileywink:

In previous OS versions, you have two options when turning off your phone.  You can either put it to sleep or shut 'er down completely.  Pressing and holding the red phone button will put the phone to sleep.  In other words, the phone is not active but any commands that require the phone to run (i.e. auto on at a certain time, sounding the alarm, etc.) will turn the phone on and run it at the desired time.  Pressing the Power Off icon and choosing Full Power Off will shut down the phone completely and nothing will turn it on until you press the red phone button again.

Any BlackBerry I've ever known has had this feature, so I can't picture RIM going and changing it suddenly in OS 7.  If this procedure is not what's happening with your phone, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it (though it sounds like you've already done that).

If I'm not right about this, I'd appreciate someone with OS 7 experience correcting me.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

BillJ:  Yes the OS7 devices - at least the 9810 and 9900 - have the dual function "Power Off" icon.  I don't have my 9900 (yet!), but have a couple of friends who beat me to it.  I had to demonstrate just that function.  Hope this helps. ~ecm

New Contributor
vora

Thanks guys. But my 9810 does not give me the two options on clicking the Power off icon. It does the same function like pressing the Power buttion on the keypad and puts the device in a standby mode....:No:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar

I've done some tests, as your Power Icon function doesn't see correct.  I think I have it figured out.  The two options "Turn Off" and "Full Power Off" do not appear if you have both your alarm set to off and the device auto on/off disabled. If one or the other is enabled, the two functions do appear from the Power Icon. (I tested this from a 9900 OS7.)

For device On/Off, go to Options > Device > Auto On/Off, set up on and off times.

To set the daily (or weekday or weekend) alarm go to Clock > Set Alarm and set a time.

Do a battery pull for good measure, and you should be fine.  Please report back once you've tried this.

Hope this helps. ~ecm

New Contributor
vora

Hey elassar,

I configured auto on/off and alarm clock as per your directions and indeed I got the two options 1. turn off and 2. full power off on clicking power icon. However, the device still goes only in standby/sleep mode on selecting either of the options. The phone does not shut down completely and on pressing the power button again the screen starts immediately. The device does not boot again......:No:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar

The "Full Power Off" is just that - powering off the device.  It does not reboot on startup.  It doesn't go through a boot screen.  In this condition, no alarms or calendar events, tasks, etc. will "wake" the device.  The "Turn Off" option is like a hibernation, and will wake on an an alarm, etc.  I have an OS6 9800 (for the moment), and this is exactly how my device behaves. Same for my wife and daughter (both have 9800's).

To actually reboot (reset) the device, you must either pull the battery or use the soft reset command (hold down the Alt key and simultaneously press the right **bleep** and Delete keys).  Alternatively, there are 3rd party apps that duplicate the soft reset.  ~ecm

New Contributor
vora

Thanks a lot for the information elessar. I was really confused because I never used blackberry before. I was using a nokia and it switches off completely on pressing the power button. This is precisely I asked the question whether it is normal for blackberry phones to go into sleep mode on pressing the power button and whether the only method to reboot them is a battery pull! I was confused because one of my friends who has a 9800 told me that his device shuts down completely on pressing the power button and reboots when he presses the power button again which led me to believe that my piece was defective. I also rang blackberry service center and the guy was unable to solve the problem and advised me to visit the service center in person which further led me to believe that there was something wrong with my phone. I am a bit relieved now on learning from you that the device actually does not shut down completely on pressing the power button and goes only into hibernation. Can you help me out with the other three problems that I have listed in my original post? Thanks once again.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar

We need someone with an OS7 device, preferrably a 9810, to chime in for problems 2, 3, 4.  (As I mentioned, I have an OS6 9800 and have only had a limited time with a 9900 in my hands.)

Your other 3 problems:

2. The screen has stopped rotating automatically without disabling it!  & 4. The phone has started hanging/freezing for 10-20 seconds each time I want to use any app.  These sound like problems that are often fixed by a battery pull. 

3. The led light (white coloured) keeps on continuously flashing and drains a lot of battery life. I am unable to switch it off.  For this, try going to Options > Display > Screen Display. Scroll down to "LED coverage Indicator" and uncheck the box beside it.  Save and exit.  (These are the steps in OS6, but I believe it's the same in OS7.)

Hope this helps -- Sorry I don't have more to offer on the )S7 stuff.

indrap878
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: XL

Thank you ecm. The "full power off" emerged. Except that after I pushed the "full power off" button and turn it on again, it does not booth like before. Just like flap screen. even i also took off the battery.
Please use plain text.