Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Movistar
Accepted Solution

Certificate chain invalid after upgrading Blackberry Messenger on Torch

I recently updated my BBM to version 7.0.0.126 per suggestion in Blackberry App World. After the upgrade I am getting an error on the screen every couple of minutes. It reads:

"You are attemptiing to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate chain is invalid."

When I click "View Certificate" I get this information:

X  *.voip.blackberry.com

Unverifiable Cert Chain

Stale Chain Status

Revocation Status: Unknown

Trust Status: Explicitly Trusted

Expiration Date: Sat, Nov 9, 2013 6:59:59 PM

Certification Type: X509

Public Key Type: RSA 2048

Subject: CN=*.voip.blackberry.com; OU:IT; O=Research In Motion Limited; L=Waterloo; ST=Ontario; C=CA

Issuer: CN=Thawte SSL CA; O=Thawte, Inc.; C=US

Serial Number: 1679 4F1B FB86 F194 CA7C 7433 AA89 432A

Key Usage: Digital Signature; Key Encipherment; Server Authentication; Client Authentication

Signature Algorithm: RSA_PKCS1/SHA1

SHA1 Thumbprint: 053D 4C66 86AB CF52 9023 C563 C776 813D C9D5 B18D

MD5 Thumbprint: 48F9 933B 1D12 48F9 2C81 24A7 E35A B117

I made sure I have everything upgraded on my Blackberry. Yet, the problem persists. I am on a Blackberry Torch 9800 version 6.0 bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, platform 6.4.0.105). When I click "Software Updates" under Options, I get: "Your BlackBerry is up to date".

The error message is driving me crazy and sometimes makes it even hard to get any use out of my phone since it pops up whenever it wants, regardless if I am typing an e-mail, contacting someone on BBM or browsing.

How can I get the error message to stop popping up?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Certificate chain invalid after upgrading Blackberry Messenger on Torch

Hey Netzimon,

When you receive this error message is your BlackBerry smartphone connected to a Wi-Fi connection behind a firewall? If yes, please see the following article:

Using BlackBerry Messenger Voice Chat behind a firewall

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33102

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Verizon

Would it be possible to leave the WiFi with the firewall, accept the certificate, and then rejoin the WiFi. I have someone having the same issue, and was told we don't support the voice-chat feature of bbm. I want them to be able to use the other parts of the application, but he gets this certificate pop-up every 10 minutes or so. He doesn't even want to use the bbm voip features. He simply wants this certificate error to stop asking him to continue every 10 minutes or so.

New Contributor

Thank you HB for your reply and help.

As it turns out, the way around this issue in BBM7 is in fact to open up ports which connect to to the VoIP servers mentioned in the KB document. I was lucky enough to have a router that let me open the ports towards a range of internal IP addresses (I have several Blackberries connecting through the router) and then have the router always assign the same IP addresses to the connected Blackberries.

However, I can't help wondering why this is even necessary. I mean, why didn't the Blackberry developers think about this error and provide a work-around in the new version of BBM? What about all the users who either do not have access to make these changes in their network router or simply do not have a router that allows them to do open the ports?

Is there a way to have this issue reported to the Blackberry development team so that a fix can be provided with the next version of BBM?

New Contributor

Strike that. The problem persists. It seems to be popping up less than  before, but i am still getting the error message every few minutes.

I tried downgrading to BBM6 but wasn't able to recover my contact list, so went back to BBM7.

These are the kind of Blackberry development screw ups that makes me consider switching to iPhone or Android.

New Contributor
My Device: BB torch 9800
My Carrier: KPN

I am not saying this is how it's suppose to be done but after I did the popup has gone, for 2 days now.

Before I had it every time I activated my Torch.

I withdraw the certificate from voip.blackberry.com by using the BB button > withdraw.

Then I deleted the certificate cause I'm not using any voip.

Actually I deleted all (3) certificates in that long list that had a X or a ? .

After that the popups were gone untill now and everything works fine.

So I don't garantee it will work for you but you can try.

Goodluck.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great suggestion Rickels!

After all the annoyance I really didn't care for the VoIP feature anyway so I deleted the certificate from the list as you suggested and the messages went away.

Thank you!

New Contributor
My Device: BB torch 9800
My Carrier: KPN

Your welcome Netzimon. Goodluck.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Verizon

This issue occured for one of our users because they were connecting to a guest wireless network, which would drop connectivity every 15 minutes or so, prompting him that the certificate couldn't be verified after internet connectivity was lost. After removing that wireless connection, he was able to connect fine and no longer received the prompts any more.

Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]
Thank you Rickels for a great suggestion. Did the same and works perfectly now. It was also draining my battery and had to recharge every 2 hours which rendered my BB useless while traveling.