Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
rsoboti
My Device: Torch 9800

Changing 'Launch by Typing' in Home Screen Preferences

In home screen preferences it is possible to change 'launch by typing' to Application Shortcut but when I do that it defaults to memo pad.  Anyone know how to change it to contacts?  I've looked everywhere but can't figure it out.  On my bold i was able to start typing and a list of relevant contacts would appear.  I'd like to be able to do the same on my Torch, have a list appear instead of the icons that appear if doing a universal search.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
glp0048
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Changing 'Launch by Typing' in Home Screen Preferences

Hey, i was wanting the same thing, but it doesnt look like it is possible.

on my bold if i wanted to call "Mark" i would simply type "Mar" and then due to alphabetical order it would be on his name and i would hit send.

If you cahnge "launch by typing" to Application shortcuts, then your slide out keyboard becomes a shortcut list. For instance, if want to text someone, press "c" then your contact list opens allowing you to type in the name of the contact, then you just select them and it opens up the text for them.

To view all history or call the person, start by pressing "a" then you can type the name and press send. Unfortunatley you have to press a shortcut key before you type the name. I couldnt simply type "mark", i must press "a" "mark"

However, if you change the setting to universal search, then you can simply type "mark" and it will litterally search your whole phone for everything with mark, so it will show on your home screen little bubble i cons for, mark the contact, mark text messages(4), help (because mark text is found in a help section, and it also shows bubbles for search blackberry podcasts, search you tube, search blackberry apps, search google.

This works fine, but like you, i liked simply typing and then only having my contact list show up in list form.

I mean seriously, if i wanted to search my whole phone i would click the magnifying glass icon, because i dont litterally need to search my entire phone very often. But i do make calls all the time. And it really is fast and easy if you just type and contacts pop up in list form and boom.

I really miss that, i love the bold and that is the one thing i wish they had was type to contact. And then if you actually want to search everything you just have to click the magnifying glass.

Also i wish they had the other convinience key like on the bold. One for camera and then one on the other side for whatever. I used to use the second convienance key for phone lock because its much more comfortable and natural to hold the phone and have a finger on the side and press in. the lock button on the top of the phone is rather sensitive and it gets pressed sometimes if i put my phone in my pocket which then unlocks it, or it jus isnt convienent to lock the phone sometimes. but with a side convineance key, it was easy and comfortable to press the lock button no matter ho you were holding the phone.

ALL IN ALL, THE TORCH IS FANTASTIC, BUT INSTEAD OF DOING AWAY WITH OLD FEATURES AND REPLACING THEM WITH NEW ONES (such as type to reveal list form of contacts), THEY SHOULD GIVE A MORE DETAILED SET OF OPTIONS FOR YOUR PHONE WHICH WOULD ALLOW YOU TO ADJUST SETTINGS TO BETTER SUITE YOU DUE TO THE FACT YOU WERE MORE COMFORTABLE WITH OLD FEATURES.

Also, i wished that when i clicked a contact it had more options at the bottom of the touch screen. it has email, call, edit, and delete.  Text is one of the most popular things, why dont they give a text option so i dont have to go through the menu and all that **bleep**. honestly, dont you think texting is more common than editing a contact???? i dont think ive edited but a few contacts, and thats only because they change numbers, get a new email, or i have to add an email. That is driving me crazy, have to go through hoops to text someone unless i have already texted them and they are in the history.,

Still, love the torch, hope this info helped

Please use plain text.