Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Character Limit For Contact Notes, Tasks, MemoPad

I would like to store more information in the notes field of my contacts.

I don't know why but BlackBerry allows a much larger character limit for MemoPad than Contact Notes and Tasks.  MemoPad data will get cut off or truncated after 64KB or approximately 32,768 characters (according to the BlackBerry webpage here).  To put this in perspective, MemoPad will hold roughly 7 full Word doc pages (using aerial, 10pt font).

Contact Notes and Tasks on the other hand, will only allow about 32KB before truncating data or approximately 4,200 characters (according to my tests).  To put this in perspective, Contact Notes and Tasks will hold roughly 1 full Word doc page (using aerial, 10pt font).

I BEG BLACKBERRY TO EITHER CONSIDER INCREASING THE CHARACTER LIMITS FOR BOTH CONTACT NOTES AND TASKS (but Contact Notes having priority over Tasks) OR...REALOCATE THE MEMOPAD DATA TO CONTACT NOTES AND TASKS! PLEASE!!!

All my Contacts are like GOLD to me and I keep notes on all my clients over the years and many of these Contact Notes get truncated after syncing with Outlook, yet Outlook holds a ton of data.  Not sure if Outlook has a limit but I haven't found it yet.  So my work-a-round is to create a new MemoPad using the info from my Contact and continue to add notes to MemoPad when Contact Notes field is full.  I hate this and it's very time consuming.  Please increase the size of data Contact Notes can hold!

It's worth noting that Google Contact Notes is limited to 128KB according to their website here.  This is roughly 20 full Word doc pages! I'd sure like that on my BlackBerry!

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Character Limit For Contact Notes, Tasks, MemoPad

Nickerz, I'm trying to ascertain the same info re BB10. Agreed - truncating the Contact Notes is simply brain dead. Given the amount of memory that is currently available in all smartphones, there is no valid reason for this. My work around has been to create a second contact record such that the Contact Notes are divided between the two similar contacts; EG; Restaurants A-M and Restaurants N-Z.

Best......richu1950 on BB Forums.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Character Limit For Contact Notes, Tasks, MemoPad

Please post what you find with BB10 re: the hard limit or character limit for Contact Notes. If BB10 simply carries over their existing limits to their new platform (which is very stingy), then this could be a deal breaker. I'd be VERY disappointed but definitely NOT surprised.

By the way, I bought a 3rd party program that syncs BB with Outlook and any other program and it's called "CompanionLink" and it works with BB Desktop seamlessly. You don't even know it's running as you still sync using the native BB desktop. CompanionLink increases the hard limit that BB has set for Contact Notes, Tasks, etc. However, there is still a limit. So instead of getting maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 page of notes (on a word doc) you get almost a full page.