Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
cpalasz
My Device: Blackberry Torch 8910
Accepted Solution

Compass

Hi I just bought the new Torch 8910 from bell about a week ago. I had to do a device wipe (long story) and had done a blackberry protect before doing that (which didn't save....yes i am pissed at that fact!) And now I have lost my compass. apparently for some of the apps like wikitude that are coming out, I need to have this. Can anyone help?

I've already tried using the desktop software and going to the applications, but it is not there, even tried redownloading the os...still not there.

HELP PLEASE!

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Compass

hello,

I am not going to help you a lot since I have no knowledge about OS7 and its compass.

but on your profile on this forum, your device was set by you as "Blakcberry Tour 8910". Furthermore, in your message, you wrote that you have a Torch 8910.

The exact reference model is "BlackBerry Torch 9810". Giving a wrong number may make it difficult for people to help you.

that being said, I think the compass cannot really be lost. What happens when you open Wikitude?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
cpalasz

I will make sure I update my profile to reflect that I do indeed have a Blackberry Torch 8910.

And the compass is apparently needed for other apps, not wikitude (as it has it's own.

But thanks for the input

Guru I
Xandrex

can you name some of those applications?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Have you tried manually calibrating the compass?

Thanks,

Bifocals

:Oops:  Edit: Allow me to answer for you.

Bifocals,

You seem lost on this issue.

I don't have any access to the Compass so I can't calibrate anything.

Thanks for trying but you provided no direction to guide me.

cpalaz

Troubleshooting: Compass

"I'm not receiving an accurate reading from the compass
Try the following actions:
• If the compass doesn't point north, move your BlackBerry® smartphone away from metal or magnets.
• If "Calibration required" appears at the bottom of the screen, calibrate the compass manually.
• To help prevent metal and magnets from interfering with the compass, close the Compass application before you get in a
vehicle or insert your smartphone in a holster.
Related information
Calibrate the compass manually, 218
User Guide Compass

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi cpalasz!

I have been reading the OS 7.0 documentation to find out how we restore the function. I don't have an answer yet but I will keep at it.

I do have two requests.

One is to run the self test to see if there is any mention of the Compass.

You said it's not listed in the applications or the device OS right?

The second is to verify model number and device OS version.

I have attached the links,

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry Smartphone

KB16037 Perform a test using the Device Self Test Application on the BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
cpalasz

7.0 Bundle 1355 (v7.0.0.261, Platform 5.0.0.469)

And I follow the directions to do a test, and there is no where in the device and status information to type in "test" and do one. But you are correct it is not listed in the applications on the device OS. But it was there orginally because I had calibrated it, but lost it in wiping my phone.

And to answer the inquiry about what apps need the compass, I don't have specific names, just some of the games released are supposed to use it.

New Contributor
cpalasz

Scratch what I said about not being able to do the test, I did it.

Guru I
Xandrex

... and the result is?

New Contributor
cpalasz

Everything passed