Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Ngleason
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Connect to Desktop Software

Last week I hooked my Torch up to the computor and did my usual back up and sync with MS Outlook.  Yesterday, the Desktop software could not find my Torch.  I am not aware of any changes made to anything.  Have tried all I know and need some guideance.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Connect to Desktop Software

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I would suggest you delete your browser history and do a hard reset of the device right before you attach the USB cable and run the desktop software.

The link below is the "top ten" causes of the device not recognized.

Let us know how it goes!

Bifocals

KB00125 Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software detecting a USB connected BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason

I am now getting an error that says there is a problem with the RIM USB device driver.  Driver won't start (code 10)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Go to the page listed below and look for the download for desktop software on the left side.

You will be asked to select a product the first is the Blackberry USB and Modem drivers.

The update link suggests doing a clean reload of the desktop software, I've had no problems installing the drivers without re-installing the desktop software. If you have any problems do the clean uninstall.

Let us know how it goes!

Bifocals

KB13336 Update BlackBerry Smartphone drivers manually on a Windows-based computer

Blackberry Desktop Software for PC  

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason

No luck so far.  As an update, I have rebooted both my laptop and Torch several times.  With the Torch it was by removing the battery.  I am confused that this laptop and this Torch have been playing well with each other for almost a year now.  I have followed the instructions given and looked for each of the faults that could cause such a problem.  I have installed the latest drivers and have tried multiple USB ports with multiple USB cables.  I have noticed that given enough time, the Torch will sync with outlook.  No matter the time, I have never seen the media card show up as a drive since this problem began.

???????  Now what.....

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hello.

Here's some more information on the slow sync. Try opening the device manager in Windows before you connect the USB cable then scan for hardware changes. It's an easy way to verify the type of USB port and what speed its running.

If you have tried multiple ports and cables and the device takes longer than usual to connect it may be the USB port on the device. Make sure you make a visual inspection and clear any debris.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB11883 Unable to view the BlackBerry media card using Windows Explorer

KB31810 Differences between a USB charge only cable and a data charge cable

KB13331 BlackBerry® smartphone or BlackBerry Playbook tablet will not connect to a Windows® based computer due to USB Power Management settings

KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

KB28444 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected by BlackBerry Desktop Software when connected by USB to a USB hub or a docking station

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason

More information.  I tried this A.M. to delete the desktop software and do a fresh install.  On initial start up it appeared to do ok.  However, when trying to connect I had the same thing.  Eventually it would connect to the desktop and sync contacts and callendar to MS Outlook.  When trying to sync music and files it could not find the connection.  I then tried to set up the Bluetooth.  The result is the same.  Contacts and Calendar are in sync but no files or music.  Question:  Could I have a bad media card????  Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason

More information.  I did inspect the USB port on the device and there were no foreign objects I could see.  The contacts inside look shiny.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason

Even more info.  Reading thru the solutions it ask if the media card could be read on the device itself.  Yes.  I can view, play and read all of the files on the media card with the device.  When looking for device drivers, the USB driver for the Torch says it cannot start (Code 10) and that it was not successfully installed.  Tried to delete the driver and reinstall.  Same outcome?????????

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Okay so far you've reported that the media card has never shown up in Windows Explorer.

That means desktop manager running on Windows won't find either.

If you had a defective media card you would see errors when accessing it from your device,.

Here's what I'd check:

!) The options for the media card are not correctly set in the device preventing it from being accessed by Windows but not by your device.

2) Windows has a drive mapping problem that prevents the media card to be incorrectly defined.

Reread the link below again and see if you can identify the problem.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB11883 Unable to view the BlackBerry media card using Windows Explorer

"The BlackBerry® smartphone user is unable to view the contents of the inserted media card using Windows® Explorer. The media card does appear correctly as a storage device in Windows Device Manager."

Cause 1) Enable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB13564.

Please use plain text.