Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Ngleason
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Connect to Desktop Software

Last of the info:  I have reread and rechecked all of the information I could find and the information that has been supplied here. Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Everything remains the same.  The phone can be sync to Outlook but I have no access to the media card to look or change music or files.  The media card can be accessed by the Torch but not by computer.  The system tells me the driver could not be installed.

As a side note, my neighbor came by and he has a Torch 9800.  It took less than 15 seconds for my laptop to install the driver and allow me to access his media card.  From that I am guessing there is something wrong or not set right on my Torch.  Not sure what to do now.  If anyone can think of something else to try would be most appreciated.  To all who have given suggestions, Thank You.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

The option to enable mass storage is what I think is not set. Several of the links I sent you refer to this. Get your neighbor's device and see that its enabled.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB11879 What is mass storage mode

While your BlackBerry smartphone is connected to your computer through a USB connection, mass storage mode allows you to transfer files between your media card and your computer.

When mass storage mode is turned on, you can use Windows® Explorer (or My Computer) or Mac OSX to transfer files between your media card and your computer.

Mass storage mode must be turned on in order to use certain features and tools of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager such as BlackBerry® Media Sync and Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones. For instructions on how to manually turn on or turn off mass storage mode, see KB13564.

KB13564 How to enable or disable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Here is a screen shot from the help app in your device,

QL_12123051407.jpg

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ngleason
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I tend to agree with you about the media card support.  But I have followed the instructions to the letter.  I do know that when I uncheck the "Media Card Support" box, I no longer see the storage space available.  When the box is checked, I see that the total space is 14.8GB with 9.7GB of free space.

I did walk down to the neighbors and look at the settings for Device/storage and my phone is set exactly like his.  Again, hooking his phone to my laptop with my USB cable takes less than 15 seconds to load the driver and display his media card as a removeable drive.  I left mine hooked up for over an hour today and nothing???????????

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Ngleason wrote:

I tend to agree with you about the media card support.  But I have followed the instructions to the letter.  I do know that when I uncheck the "Media Card Support" box, I no longer see the storage space available.  When the box is checked, I see that the total space is 14.8GB with 9.7GB of free space.

I did walk down to the neighbors and look at the settings for Device/storage and my phone is set exactly like his.  Again, hooking his phone to my laptop with my USB cable takes less than 15 seconds to load the driver and display his media card as a removeable drive.  I left mine hooked up for over an hour today and nothing???????????

Hi,

If the options are set correctly as you just verified the only support I can provide is to help you guess what the problem is. (i.e. Your guess is as good as mine) :Wacko:

If Windows had a drive mapping issue your neighbor's device wouldn't display correctly either.

The only thing I can think of to check that the media card is supported by your device OS.

The link below has a reference chart you can use. I'm gong to see if I can find any more information on the problem.

Hopefully one of the really really smart users will resolve this before I can post back. :Helpsmilie:

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB05461 MicroSD card sizes supported by the BlackBerry device software

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.