Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Schmetti
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Virgin

Connected to WIFI but no internet access

Hi!

I've got a Blackberry Torch 9800 running v6.0.0.668. I've got a Blackberry service bundle thingy from Virgin mobile.

I managed to successfully connect to my mom's wifi, but then it just stopped working. The wifi symbol says I'm connected. If I go into Set Up Wi-Fi Connections and try to connect to the network it says I'm already connected.
Sometimes I get emails (How do I stop that, by the way? The Help says you can untick the box of "send to handheld" but I've got no such box to untick.), sometimes I will get/be able to send a WhatsApp message. But most of the time it won't work. The browser says "Unable to find the requested server".

1) I tried Registering HRT, as I read in some answers. Got the message that I'm now registered.
2) Tried Resending Service Books, but I can't even open the set up of the email accounts, let alone understand who is supposed to send me a service book. "wireless service provider’s BlackBerry Internet Service web site" Virgin or my mom's internet provider or my internet email account provider?
3) Did a "soft reboot", didn't do anything. (Apart from WhatsApp accepting my media card again).

I'm so confused and frustrated. Especially because every once in a while it'll work, without me doing anything.

Help please :smileysad:

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Schmetti

Re: Connected to WIFI but no internet access

Took the battery out and put it back in now, too. Got WhatsApp messages and emails as soon as it was back and rebooted, managed to send one or two back as well, the third one is still waiting to be sent.
Interestingly, it won't be sent even if I receive another email.
My reaction goes like this: "New email?! Was my whatsapp message sent?! Omg omg, is it working? Oh... wait... no, it's not. :smileysad:".

Please use plain text.
JJT-8169
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Connected to WIFI but no EMAIL access - BB software update problem?

I've got a similar problem. Torch 9800, successfully connected to WiFi (it's been working for years like this), but suddenly (since the last BB software update a few weeks ago) my device sporadically loses the connection to my email server.  A local Telus tech suggested the device had lost my password (somehow) during the BB software update. When I re-entered the password, it worked again fine--for awhile.  Then it started losing the connection almost every day. And sometimes twice or three times in a day.

Clues: I can still access the Internet on WiFi, but not my email account. I can get it working again by doing a REBOOT. But I have to remove both the battery and the SIM card, and then when it starts up again, the WiFi access to email works fine.

But then it loses the connection again without me doing anything. The WiFi signal indicator on the Home Screen is still there. Signal still strong. But that other little BB symbol that indicates connected to a Mobile Network has disappeared. Even though the WiFi connection is still there.

The Mobile Network indicator comes back after ANOTHER REBOOT, or sometimes on its own.

Question: was there something wrong in the last BB software update? Why am I suddenly having to REBOOT several times a day? I never did before.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
arthur72
My Device: Z30, Z10 (10.2.1.3175), 9860 (7.1), Samsung S4
My Carrier: Indosat

Hi

When I face that kind of situation, there are 2 things to checked;
1. Turn off the modem for a while.
2. If the problem still exist, modified wifi network setting in the device from obtain IP address automatically into Manual input IP address.

The problem disappear then.

New Contributor
Schmetti

Hey,

1. The modem is fine. My laptop and my moms and my old phone are all connected to the internet.
2. I changed the IP to the one my old phone is connected to, which didn't work at all. Just got the "can't find server" message quicker. Changed it back to automatically and tadaa, I've got internet. However, since I got too frustrated, I swapped my SIM over to my old phone in the meantime. So the internet works on the simless Blackberry, which it did before, too, but not on the simful.

Could this be about roaming?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
arthur72
My Device: Z30, Z10 (10.2.1.3175), 9860 (7.1), Samsung S4
My Carrier: Indosat

Hi Schmetti

Let's talk about your 9800, the device which facing wifi problem. Can you send me PM regarding your static IP address setting? This is open forum which not allowed to share such kind of details. I will try to analyze that setting.

Once it works, it would be much useful rather than swipe/reload your device OS which erase all of your data.

I don't think that is related with roaming. Thanks.
New Contributor
Schmetti

Hey!

Now that I am back home, the phone is working fine. No problem with wifi or anything. Must have had something to do with roaming and the Blackberry Service and I have no idea.

Thanks for the replies, though :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.