Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
federicodemaria
My Device: 8520 (EDGE, WiFi)

Connected with WIFI. Can't receive and send emails

When I was in India I had internet with the service provider and I could check my emails without problems. Now that I'm back home, I don't have a internet connection with the service provider. Instead, I'm connected through a WIFI network (at my place). I can use internet on my browser without any problem, but can't receive my emails. 

What can I do? 

Thank you 

Best, 

f

Forums Advisor III
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30.

Re: Connected with WIFI. Can't receive and send emails

hello,

so let me get this straight

1. you don`t have internet connection with your current service provider,

2. over Wi-Fi you can browse ithe internet but can not receive emails. 

you may wanna tell us where was your phone originaly activated? 

New Contributor
federicodemaria

You got it right. 

I don't exactly know what you mean by 'activated'. If it can help, I've formatted it in India while travelling, the phone was bought and is used now in Spain. 

Thanks, 

f

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

The use of the native email app on a BB requires subscription to an adequate data plan from a carrier...regardless of the pathway (e.g., carrier data network versus WiFi) that is used, you still must have an adequate data plan. If I understand correctly, you do not have such a plan...consequently, you can't use any of the proprietary BB services, which includes Email via the Messages app/BIS.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
federicodemaria

Thank you!

I don't understand the jargon, but what you mean is that:

eventhough I have a wifi connection (and I can browse), as I don´t yet have a service provider for internet in my blackberry I can't check my emails. By the way, isn't this a bit strage?

However, I guess I can check my emails on the browser, isn´t? 

thanks again

f

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I tried to avoid much jargon, but you seem to have understood it correctly. It is really not "strange" at all IMHO, it is just very different from how other devices work. To provide email in the special way that BBs do (it's not ActiveSync), the carriers and BlackBerry must host servers and such on their side...to use those requires subscription to (and payment for) an adequate data plan so as to help them cover those extra costs that exist solely for BB users.

Of course, if your email service provides a WebMail interface, you of course should be able to use that via the Browser. It's just the native method of handling email via the Messages app that requires the data plan (since that uses the servers hosted by the carriers and BlackBerry).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
federicodemaria

Thank you very much, very helpfull!

I'm a real beginner...

best,

f

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome! Come back anytime you have any question at all. We're always happy to help!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
hemanu
My Device: curve 9380

hi
i don't have any bb data plan ,,but i have wifi connection at home tell me how i get mail in bb
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

hemanu wrote:
hi
i don't have any bb data plan ,,but i have wifi connection at home tell me how i get mail in bb

Hello,

You cannot. Refer please to post 4 above.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates