Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Contacts

I recently went to my contacts in my BlackBerry Torch and dialled a number which came up with the person's surname only, but in the contacts list it has the person's full name. I also notice that some of the contacts that the Christian name has been taken away and just left the surname, I have no idea why. In one particular contact I notice there is contact details with the full name which I put into my address book and there is now the same contact added to the address book, less than a Christian name. I have no idea why this has happened, any thoughts or help would be appreciated, thank you.

Solutions: 6,064
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Contacts

By any chance are you using a gmail or yahoo email address which also syncs your contacts back to your email server?

Also: You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply, I am using Gmail and was checking something in my email settings which I probably changed without realising! Is there anything I can do to change this?

Thanks for pointing out my phone number, I had no idea this was showing, also it looks like my email address is showing to the public. I've looked at the forums but can't see how to hide my email address or maybe it is only myself that can see it?

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Solutions: 6,064
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yea, your contacts are syncing via the Google Mail contact sync.

And likely in your Gmail contacts on the web, you have first names only, and that must have synced to your BlackBerry.

You can turn that off.

Article ID: KB19271 How to disable Google Mail contact synchronization

Your email is not showing publicly in this forum, safe there.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you, just changed the settings!