Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
drdit
My Device: BB 9810, BB Playbook
My Carrier: Beeline

Custom Ringtone Problem

Hi, 

today I updated my 9810 to OS 7.1.0.658. After the update every contact has been assigned a custom ringtone (Spirit). This setting obviously overrides the audio profile setting I've made so for every icoming call I get the Spirit ringtone instead of the other one I've set in the audio profiles. 

How do I change/delete custom ringtones for all contacts at once? Changing it individually is not an option, since the number of contacts exceeds 300. I've thought about creating a group and adding all the contacts to it, but again I've failed to find a way to add all the contacts at once. Actually, are there any "batch operations" with contacts? Can this be done on a computer using Blackberry Desktop? Thanks in advance. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Q10 / Playbook

Re: Custom Ringtone Problem

Interesting.  I'm not sure about a batch operation, but you can try deleting the actual ringtone file (not sure what ringtone will get assigned after that) or if you want to replace it the same ringtone for all, overwrite the the assigned ringtone the same file name.  I've never tried that, but it should work.  Backup these ringtones first!  Also do a full backup using the desktop manager before trying this!

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've also thought about playing with the file... Now the question is: how to find the file which corresponds to the Spirit ringtone? Is it an awr file? I've tried to do a file search on the device connected to PC and no files with "Spirit" in the name have been found. I would be happy to get more information on the file location/name. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
drdit

[ Edited ]

Update: totay I got a call from a number which is not on my contact list. Guess what? The ringtone was Spirit, although in every audio profile a different ringtone (custom wav file) is set. There is something I don't understand... 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

Are you using any apps that could be overriding your ringtone settings?  I thought this was a ringtone that was downloaded to your SD card.  This may be a locked file in system memory that can't be changed.

No, I don't think I have any such apps. The problem occured right after OS update, no new apps have been installed. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

What i've found so far: Customizing Ringtones, Notifications and Alerts for BlackBerry 7

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/ringtones-alerts-blackberry-7/

This is the breakdown for OS7 and custom ringtones.

How do I change my ringtone/custom ringtones for contacts?

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2010/10/changing-blackberry-ringtones/

I found these threads.. you can give it a try

how can I assign ringtone to ALL my contacts at same time

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve/how-can-I-assign-ringtone-to-ALL-my-contacts...

How to apply new default ringtone to all contacts

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/218350-how-apply-new-default-r...