Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
michaeld
My Device: Torch 9800

Dangerous phone to use initially

I was returning some Torch 9800's last night, so I security wiped them all before going to Best Buy. On the way there I realized that I forgot some information and tried to call home. Even though it was wiped, I had rebooted it and aborted out of the setup screen it boots to. I figured that I'd be able to use it safely at a stop light. Boy, was I wrong.

I went to phone icon that displays the large number dial pad. I entered the number and pressed the green button, and phone instead popped up a dialog box that said something about the radio being off. Traffic started moving, so I had to turn the phone off and keep going. I didn't read the entire dialog.

When I got to the Best Buy parking lot, I tried to call again. This time after entering the number on the large keypad and pressing the green button, instead of making the call, the phone displayed another dialog to tell me that it found a new time zone for me. After accepting the new time zone, my call in progress just went away.

I then pressed the phone icon again. Again I entered the number and pressed the green button. This time the phone immediately went to a black screen. Instead of making the call, it apparently turned itself off.

After turning it on again, and pressing the phone icon again, and entering the number again, it finally made the call.

I'm glad I wasn't trying to call 911. This phone really needs a "cut the nonsense and just be a phone" option.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Dangerous phone to use initially

You wiped the device, of all personal information and previous and personal settings and preferences. Pretty much what you described is what it should have done, acting like a new setup on the device, asking for timezone, having the radio set off, etc., working as designed.

Now, had you actually pressed and called 911... that would have been different. But that's not what you were doing.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
michaeld

I can obviously forgive the initial two minute boot time, and the little video it plays after, and booting into setup, but once it lets me out of setup and allows me to press the phone icon and lets me enter a telephone number to dial, it should be a working phone.

IMO: If it wasn't ready to make calls, then it shouldn't have allowed me to pull up the dialing keypad. It was like a bad multitasking - almost as if setup were running in the background while the UI of the phone's main functionality ran in the foreground. I would have much rather of seen a huge red PLEASE WAIT on the phone instead of it pretending to be ready when it wasn't.

I guess we'll never know on the 911, but I have no confidence that it would have dialed 911 in the state it was in either.

JSanders

[ Edited ]

Wow.

Even with NO SIM card inserted in the BlackBerry, and even if it were locked with a password, that BlackBerry would dial 911.

Again, working as designed, you just need to know more about it.

It really sounds like you bought this with little or no research. Correct, a BlackBerry is not for everyone, I think it does have a steeper learning curve beyond lesser devices, and some people don't need the advanced features BlackBerry offers, and many of those are ONLY offered by BlackBerry. So, if you're not willing to give the device two weeks, keep an open mind that THIS device does not work like your old phone or another, and learn the more intuitive workings of the device... then it is not for you. I agree.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
michaeld

Yes, any phone will still dial 911 without a sim, but this not what was happening with me.

I believe that the phone was running some sort of bootup/initialization sequence in the background (as you say, due to the fact that is had been wiped), that was interfering with the main functionality of the phone.

In other words I don't believe it was their intention to display a dial keypad and then not dial the number. Who would program a phone to do such a thing?? Therefore, it was not behaving as intended by the programmer, and thus I have serious doubts that it would have been able to dial 911 in that state.

As for the phone being to advanced for me, if having to pay $30 more per month than what an iPhone or an Android would cost me to do the same job, then yes, it is too advanced. For one thing, its obviously too adanced to support primitive standards like active sync.

JSanders

Yep, well, alls for naught now anyway, right? You'll never know.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

once wiped, it is like a new phone and it needs to be set up.

most people dont set up a new phone while driving:smileywink: Glad you didnt get hurt.

I have not heard of some one grabbing a new phone out of the box to make a 911 call either.

Good luck.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V