Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
BlueyVIII
My Device: Not Specified

Data Connections

My work have provided me with a new Torch today and so far I'm impressed.

As work pay for the phone I keep surfing the web to a minimum in order not to incur any data charges. 

I've setup the Torch to connect to my home WiFi but I can't see anyway to force the web-browser to always use the WiFi connection and NOT the mobile network.

On my old Curve 8900 I could change the options of the Web Browser to use "Hotspot" by default in order to prevent data usage on the mobile network. I can't see anyway to do this on the 9800 version 6 software.

Any help gratefully received! As I receive lots of email I don't want my personal web surfing to eat into my data allowance. I'm happy to only use the web when I'm Wifi connected.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Data Connections

[ Edited ]

On the Torch there is no selector for the Hotspot browser as it should automatically select the best browser based on the type of connection it is using.  So long as you are connected to your wifi network at home, your Torch should automatically pull the data from your wifi network rather than the data network.  The Hotspot browser will only come up if you are connecting to a Wifi Hotspot outside of work or home (e.g. at a Starbucks or something similar).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BlueyVIII

Thanks for that - is there a way to test or display which network it using??

Also, when the WiFi connection is in use will the traffic still be going via the companies BES server? I'd prefer the traffic to go directly to/from the internet and miss out the BES server completely if possible.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Now that's not one I know for sure, but I'm guessing it would still be going through the BES server.  We have a couple of others around here on BES and with a Torch, so I'm sure one of them will speak up if it's any different.

As to knowing if you are connected via Wifi, so long as you see the Wifi indicator on (will be white instead of greyed out), then your data is going via Wifi. 

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

read more here about the browser and connections

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB23699

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BlueyVIII

[ Edited ]

Thanks Knottyrope...

I've had a read through the thread and the way I understand the priority is :-

1. Use BES Transport specifically programmed within any particular API

if none programmed then, 

2. If the URL (or DNS suffix) is included within an IT Policy use BES Transport 

or

3.  If the URL doesn't include a "." or does include any private addressing use BES transport

or if none of the above then

4. Use direct WiFi

The document mentions some latter options but for my needs I think the above is correct.

Therefore, for my viewing of BBC Sport, BBC News and my personal webmail I believe the Blackberry will be using Direct WiFi (because these sites don't meet any of the criteria in 1, 2 or 3)

Please use plain text.