Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook & 9810 Torch
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada

Data Services OFF...really off, or am I going to be billed for data?

My brother just gave me his back-up phone (9810)...my first smart phone.  I don't have a DATA plan, although provider will charge me per block of 100MB I use.  I've turned on wifi and I've turned off Data Services (and Roaming), however, I have a concern.  When I download things on App World, etc., it's the reception icon that changes and shows an incoming arrow and not my wifi icon that change!  Is Data Services turned off REALLY off?  I'd also like to know what limitations wifi will have, i.e. will BBM work via wifi?  Thanx.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Data Services OFF...really off, or am I going to be billed for data?

Hello JohnyBGood

On your torch 9810 having OS 7 or 7.1 your browser will always choose the prefered connection i;e , if you're connceted to a wifi network then your browse will choose wifi as preffered connection but not your Mobile network . You don't need to turn off Data Services but if you want to be sure then you can trun off your mobile network on Manage Connection .

Regarding BBM , you need a specific BlackBerry Data Plan / BIS from your Carrier to use BBM  over your Mobile network or even over wifi .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860, software rel 7.0 bundle 1549
My Carrier: Entel Chile

Re: Data Services OFF...really off, or am I going to be billed for data?

Hi, excuse me for hijacking this thread. Seems closest to my query.

In the entry on 10 top battery saving tips , the part that resonated with me is Tip 5 - Change network settings in poor coverage

Here the recommendation is the Network Mode tab (select '2G only').   How is that different from just selecting the Data on/off tab above it?

FYI - same phone I've been using for 2 years, but only recently got my carrier to allow it to access 3G. Now batt drains in just a few hours if I leave it on standby. I leave it in airplane mode most of the time, only access the network every couple of hours to check Whatsapp. Even then it doesn't last a full day - so from now on I'll be switching data off until I want to check Whatsapp.