Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: SFR France

Decrypting .rem files transferred to an external harddrive from BB9800?

I transferred hundreds of my photos from my phone to my external hard drive using Windows Explorer connected through a USB connection.   Before I realized they were encrypted with .rem extension I deleted them from the phone (before I ever knew what  a .rem encryption extension was) ...now months later I realize I can not open them!     

I have the same phone and now realize through the BB desktop manager I can download photos to the harddrive on my computer and they are decrypted; but what can I do with the hundreds of older pictures on my harddrive?  

I have tried transferring back to the same phone using the same simple mass file method transfer methodWith BB synced up with the correct password to PC, this transfer method does not work as the phone does not recognize the file type in the error message...or indicates it is unsupported

I expect the reason the phone will not accept back is the encryption is still onbut since it is a corporate phone, this feature is locked, or shows a little lock symbol in the security features next to the encryption box you would uncheck to turn off.   I can not remove the lock and the checkbox is greyed out with it selected what appears to be permanently unless you can unlock the security feature.    I thought perhaps, since it is the same phone, it would recognize the files since they were moved onto the X hard drive from this same phone