Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Device past unknown - BIS registration error

Hello all,

I just bought an unlocked Torch 9810 from abroad on an auction site, and i use it in hungarian Vodafone network.

The BIS APN is ok (there is the BB sign next to the 3G and the APN is blackberry.net) the internet and phone funcitions works well. I received the message, the phone registered on wireless networks.The BIS device registration page on the Vodafone's site says "BIS account suspended or deactivated".

I read some discussion about this error message, and I found that could means the phone stolen.

I can't resign that, while i'm not 100% sure, so i have some questions what i haven't find out:

- Can i use the BB APN if the phone stolen, and BIS service blocked ?

- If i try to register the phone on a foreign service provider's site, they send the same error message. If is there a common BB database, who can check and tell me the exact reason of deactivation?

- If it isn't possible, how can i find out exactly what is the country of origin? The Vendor ID:603, what belongs to lot of european countries, i don't want to call all of them.

- I read an advice that try to put a BIS activated SIM card into my phone, go to the providers site, login with that account, and choose change device menu. Should it work on my 9810??

- If unable to find out all of options above, how can i find the original owner?

Additional infos:

- I don't know anything about the phone's past, and the seller neither

- The phone from abroad  so none of the hungarian service providers found the device in BB database (they have only rights to the hungarian BB accounts)

- The phone was very cheap and the body completely changed with original parts. i think nobody spend money for a completely new housing for a stolen, broken phone, to sell it very cheap (125USD) on an auciton site.

All answers thanks in advance!

And sorry for my english !

regards

Zoli

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Device past unknown - BIS registration error

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

vzzoli wrote:

The BIS device registration page on the Vodafone's site says "BIS account suspended or deactivated".

I read some discussion about this error message, and I found that could means the phone stolen.

Not necessarily. There are many reasons that message could exist. It could mean the device was reported stolen. It could mean the device was reported lost. It could mean that someone didn't pay their bill to Vodafone. In reality, only Vodafone can tell you exactly why.

vzzoli wrote:

- Can i use the BB APN if the phone stolen, and BIS service blocked ? 

No. Lost and stolen devices are reported to the BlackBerry system, and that reports to all carriers, and no carrier can then create a BIS account for that BB PIN.

vzzoli wrote:

- If i try to register the phone on a foreign service provider's site, they send the same error message. If is there a common BB database, who can check and tell me the exact reason of deactivation? 

Only the carriers and/or BlackBerry. If you can convince a carrier to look deeper into their system, they might be able to give you a precise reason. Or if you can convince them to escalate your question up to BlackBerry, they might be able to answer the question. Or, you can pay to ask the question:

Note carefully that via none of those means is there any guarantee that your question will be answered.

vzzoli wrote:

- If it isn't possible, how can i find out exactly what is the country of origin? The Vendor ID:603, what belongs to lot of european countries, i don't want to call all of them. 

Yes, 603 belongs to many:

• 603 = Jersey Telecom/Trigcom/ Telenor Serbia/Siminn/ Brightpoint UK/Sonofon/Mobitel/ Telenor Hungary/Brightpoint Netherlands/ Brightstar AZLAN UK/Cable Wireless UK/20:20 UK/Globul/Polkomtel /Optimus/ TMN Portugal/Telenor Norway

However, there is no guarantee that the lock came from any of those...if the BB was unlocked and taken onto another carrier other than a 603 carrier, then it would be that one that you'd need to inquire to. So, the answer to this question is the same as just above this one...

vzzoli wrote:

- I read an advice that try to put a BIS activated SIM card into my phone, go to the providers site, login with that account, and choose change device menu. Should it work on my 9810?? 

If the BB PIN is locked out in the master BlackBerry system, then this won't help. The master system is tied to the BB PIN, not any SIM.

vzzoli wrote:

- If unable to find out all of options above, how can i find the original owner?

Alone, you cannot. If you can convince a carrier and/or BlackBerry rep to look deeply for you, they might be able to do so. But I honestly doubt that you'll be successful. Consider -- even if your procurement channel was legitimate, this device may be a stolen one...hence, you are in possession of stolen property, and have very limited rights to anything.

vzzoli wrote:

Additional infos:

- I don't know anything about the phone's past, and the seller neither

- The phone from abroad  so none of the hungarian service providers found the device in BB database (they have only rights to the hungarian BB accounts)

- The phone was very cheap and the body completely changed with original parts. i think nobody spend money for a completely new housing for a stolen, broken phone, to sell it very cheap (125USD) on an auciton site.

All answers thanks in advance!

And sorry for my english !

I think you got taken advantage of by a dishonest seller. If whoever you bought it from will not reply and help, then they are not an honest seller. Sadly, it is you that is stuck with the result.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hello sdgardne,

Thank you for your fast answer.

I don' t understand one thing.

You wrote, i can't register my device in BIS if its stolen.

But independ of BIS account, can i use a stolen phone in BB network (just the blackberry APN, not the BIS service)?

I think i write to the BB support, because i called the Vodafone, but they cannot find this device in they database.

Thank you again

Zoli 

Hall of Famer II

vzzoli wrote:

I don' t understand one thing.

You wrote, i can't register my device in BIS if its stolen.

But independ of BIS account, can i use a stolen phone in BB network (just the blackberry APN, not the BIS service)?

No. Under no circumstances do I recommend using stolen property.

vzzoli wrote:

I think i write to the BB support, because i called the Vodafone, but they cannot find this device in they database.

Please keep in mind one thing...presented at the top of every screen on this site:

BSCF User Comm.JPG

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

No, no, i don't want to use a stolen phone. I just wanted to be sure that, if stolen, the BB network ban the phone from their network. this could be the proof.

New Contributor

I can't believe that. I called the Blackberry Customer Service.

They told me, this phone not reported to stolen or lost, so call my service provider, they have to activate the account.

I called Vodafone HU, but they can't see the device in their system, so they can't activate it.

This bureaucracy really annoying and unbelieveable...

Hall of Famer II

I'm glad you at least got part of your answer (though it seems to conflict with what their system said). Further, that's only half the answer...the other half is the question about if the BB PIN remains registered to some other carriers BIS system, which would prevent Vodafone HU from registering it to their system.

Do also keep in mind another possible issue...as far as I can see, the 9810 model is not directly supported by the Vodafone HU network. Using a non-supported model can be successful, but requires many special tricks since the automatic Registration and Service Book delivery processes (from the network to the BB) often do not happen, and must be accomplished manually. I'm actually a bit surprised that Vodafone HU has not yet told you any of this fact...unless there network does natively support that specific model number (but, from what I can see, it does not).

You should probably ask them this specific question -- does their network natively support the 9810 for automatic Registration and Service Book delivery?

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hello sdgardne,

Oh, i didn't know it that. Thank you. But i think this can't be a problem, because when the phone became available in hungary, they officially start to sell it, but just for few months.

My experience is the service providers' technical support usually know\can solve only the common problems by a scenario. If you have a more complicated problem, what needs specific knowledge, they fail. Or maybe they aren't 

interested in to find out how to reactivate the account, because it take cost for them (report incident to BB, working hours, etc.).

Whatever I try to ask them about the config.

And other way i found a BB service near to me, they trying to help me to find out the country of origin.

If necessary, i call all of those countries service providers one by one, to unregister the device ;o)

Thank you for your advices and help!!

regards

Zoli

Hall of Famer II

vzzoli wrote:

But i think this can't be a problem, because when the phone became available in hungary, they officially start to sell it, but just for few months.

As I said, it's possible that they do support it...but my information source is here:

That is the official OS download portal for Vodafone HU. Typically, those portals list all models that the specific carrier supports natively in their system for all of the automatic processes. Since the 9810 is not there, I can only deduce that they don't support it. If they did in the past, it is possible that they have stopped doing so. Given what you know, I believe it still would be prudent to ask the specific question.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

It is interesting. I read an old news what wrote this.

Or maybe I try hungarian T-Mobile.

Ok, i will ask them, thank you about the config.