Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
foreorr
My Device: torch 9800

Disabling email to be sent to my handheld

I will be  travelling to the UK and as with many people, do not wish to incur all of the roaming charges, however, I do not wish to turn off my Mobile Network as I still want to  use my BBM.  I see that there is an option to turn off all email to my handheld, so I did a quick test and turned it off and then had a buddy send me a BBM and I received it and replied no problem. 

Is it safe to assume that this method will only incur my data charges related to my BBM.  Since no emails are coming through to my handheld, I can only assume that there are no data charges coming through for emails.  Sounds like a silly question, but would just like to confirm if anyone knows for sure.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,932
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Disabling email to be sent to my handheld

Where did your turn off your email... on your BIS account setup? If so, then you're good to go with no email.

On the other hand, your device IS still connected to the data network, any browser use (or say a weather applicaton, etc.) can use data also. So be careful.

When I have travelled overseas at times, I have kept the DATA turned off except when needed such as when connected to a WIFi source, to keep the data use to WIFI only. That's another option. However if you need and want BBM at anytime, then you'll need to keep your data on.

Have a good trip.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
foreorr
My Device: torch 9800

Thanks...This is a corportae email account and sorry, I really don't know what you mean by a BIS account set-up.

What I did was, go in to email and then options and then email preferences and then unchecked the box "send email to handheld".

Do you think this will work ?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,932
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

foreorr wrote:

What I did was, go in to email and then options and then email preferences and then unchecked the box "send email to handheld".

Do you think this will work ?

That will certainly work to disable email sent to your device.

Your device will continue to use data in the same manner otherwise.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.