Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Lyndall
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: MTN
Accepted Solution

Don't want new email alert icon on home screen

Hi

I'm new to BB and have a Torch. I've connected my work e-mail to my BB using BES, but don't want to see the new mail icon on my phone when there's a new mail on my home screen. I've googled and the following extract from the user guide doesn't work for me:

Hide the new or unopened message indicator

1. On the Home screen, click the Messages icon

2. Press the BB key > Options > Message Display and Actions

• To hide the new message indicator, clear the Display New Message Indicator check box.

• To hide the unopened message indicator, change the Display Message Count field to None

3. Press the SAVE key >

I have changed the "count" to "none", but don't have the "Display New Message Indicator" in my menu.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Lyndall

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Don't want new email alert icon on home screen

[ Edited ]

When you change the "Display Message Count" to None, the "Display New Message Indicator" Option is no longer available.

You have to change it back to Unread in order to uncheck that box.

The two settings work hand in hand, so by unchecking that box, the message count will also no longer be displayed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lyndall

Thanks so much for your response! It seems to make perfect sense, so I tried it.

Only problem is, that now it shows the envelope AND the count. I tried a couple of battery pulls and ticking and unticking the "Display new message indicator" and then more battery pulls, but no luck. Do you have another suggestion, please?

Really enjoying this new "toy", but bit frustrated too...

Thanks

Lyndall

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56

Well, those are the steps in the BlackBerry Documentation.

Just tried them myself, however and as you said, it doesn't seem to work, at least the way I'm understanding it should.

May I ask why you want to disable this? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lyndall

It's my personal phone and the email I've connected to it is work email. Though I want to be able to go check my work email when I choose to, I don't want to feel chased to do it 24/7, specially over the holidays etc., else I'll never "switch" off. I thought it would be a simple option to "uncheck", but it seems not. Not sure what else to try.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56

You can always turn data services off in Mobile Network Options.  This way you'll still be able to use the device as a phone.  If you have WiFi at home you should still be able to get on the internet, but the e-mails, etc, won't be a hassle.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lyndall

Thanks, but I don't have WiFi at home, so would like the mail on the BB to stay updated, just not notifying me constantly. Thanks anyway :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tjain83
My Device: Bold & 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

hi, i was facing the same problem so now i have created the Email Group and there i have transfered all my email icons. after that email icon is no longer on home screen, try this it. it might solves your problem. let me know if you want to know more details

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lyndall

Hi

The e-mail group icon sounds like a great plan, thanks.

Please give some more details. I'm not too clued up yet.

Thanks

Lyndall

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tjain83
My Device: Bold & 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

Go to home screen, then click on menu over there you will see add folder click on it and name that folder, after that folder is created go to your email icon then again click on menu then move to folder (you can now move the same to your email folder)

Please use plain text.