Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
shepherdess
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310

Downloaded new BB software for 9810 - lost all favorites stored on phone

Help_ can I restore these some how?- had a sites, articles, etc stored. Also lost all emails on one of my email accounts (business)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Downloaded new BB software for 9810 - lost all favorites stored on phone

Hello,

Depending on how you did the update, you may or may not be able to recover.

If you did the update on-device (wireless update) AND you did not have BB Protect ever previously active AND you never previously did a desktop backup, then there is no source from which you can now restore.

If you had BB Protect previously active, then you can recover some from it:

• KB25063 How to use BlackBerry Protect to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone

If you used the desktop software for this update AND you had it do a backup during the process -- OR you previously did a desktop backup at a time when your BB contained what you need, then you can use the Desktop Software to perform a selective restore of just the databases you require:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

You would search your PC hard drive for files with BBB or IPD extension (*.BBB and *.IPD...depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used to take the backup). The most recent files (as noted by the date/time stamp of the file itself) would be your candidate data sources for restore.

Note that these processes will likely work for your Browser Bookmarks (if that is what you indeed meant). But, for your email, it will only work if that email account was the only email account you had integrated. Messages are stored in a single large database, and that database contains messages from all email accounts integrated to the BB. So, if you restore from that backup, you will replace the contents of it completely...including for any other email accounts that may be properly reflecting on your BB now. So choose wisely regarding restoring your messages.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.