Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
MochaP
My Device: Torch 9800

Egg Timer & Phone Usage

Carrier: Telus

Model info and OS version: Blackberry 9800 / 6.0 bundle 3155

File free before and after a battery remove/replace: 200.5 MB app storage; 3.4GB media; 3.1GB media card

Did a battery pull fix your issue? Temporarily

I have two main issues:

1) Keep pulling the battery to fix the egg timer. Battery pull once a day. Continually get the egg timer when using just about any application or closing applications.

2) When using the phone the screen is still active. The phone continually goes "on hold" or "mute".

Is there anything that I can do? Honestly, I've had so many blackberries, but find these two issues on the Torch really frustrating. Is there anything that I can do to mitigate or stop both of these issues?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JSanders
Solutions: 6,027
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Egg Timer & Phone Usage

Close all apps running in the background. Go to your homescreen, press the Menu key for two seconds, what icons appear?

Go to Options > Security > Advanced Security > Memory Cleaning and disable the Memory Cleaner.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
MochaP

Thanks so much!

I can see the following icons - Home Screen, Blackberry Messenger, Phone, Browser, Blackberry App World (prob because I'm currently adding an app), and eMail

Sorry, forgot. that I disabled the memory cleaner a few months ago. I saw that tip on another help forum.

JSanders

Good. When you close an app, make sure you use the Menu key and Close or Exit.

When was the last time you rebooted, With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
MochaP

Ahhhhh - I've done two hard reboots (battery pulls) today - but I usually turn off the phone first. Now I know!

Do you know if there will be any software upgrades so that battery pulls aren't a regular occurrence to maintain functionality?

And last question - doyou know of any way to disable the screen while on a phone? When my ear is against the phone it frequently hits the mute or hold button.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

JSanders

Yep, don't turn it off first. Doing so only turns on the device in the same state it was when powered off.

MochaP wrote:

And last question - doyou know of any way to disable the screen while on a phone? When my ear is against the phone it frequently hits the mute or hold button.

There are apps like TalkLock, TorchLock or StormLock that will help with this.

I have similar issues from time to time when on the phone against my ear. There is a sensor in the top edge of the device to sense it is against your face to lock the screen. I have found that when taking a call, hold the upper area of the BlackBerry against the ear slightly firm, not loosely. Try for a few days before getting an app and see if it helps.

Knowledge Base Updates