Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Email attachment limit

Hi Blackberry Support,

I wanted to clarify the email attachment limitation. I read the following link and mention as follow

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/16573/BB_Messaging_and_Collaboration_Services_22445...

• If a user sends one attachment in a message, the file size of the attachment cannot exceed 3 MB.
  • If a user sends multiple attachments in a message, the total file size of the attachments cannot exceed 5 MB.

When I test setting up my company email (using email forward to blackberry email account), Yahoo account and GMail account, I can receive single attachment that more than 3 MB or 5MB without any problem on my Blackberry, May I know is the limitation mention above still valid?

Moses

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Email attachment limit

I have to be honest, I haven't read through the entire article you posted, but I can tell you that the new BlackBerry Internet Service 4.1 (BIS 4.1) has increased the size of email and email attachment that can be received by your BlackBerry phone without truncating it.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I post the questions earlier is I found that when I setup hotmail account on my blackberry. It limits to the following rules:

• If a user sends one attachment in a message, the file size of the attachment cannot exceed 3 MB.
  • If a user sends multiple attachments in a message, the total file size of the attachments cannot exceed 5 MB.

If I sent myself a picture or pdf attachment that more than 3MB, on my Blackberry I receive a text attachment with the message saying the jpg or pdf file exceeds the size limit for Windows Live(TM) mobile access and cannot be downloaded to your Blackberry....

I'm wondering is the 3MB limitation is control by Blackberry or Hotmail? Why Yahoo or GMail don't have the 3MB limitation? Is there any workaround solution to allow hotmail account receive more than 3MB attachment file?

Moses

Highlighted
New Contributor

Anyone know the answer?