Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
TygerX7
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

the brightness doesnt go down as much in Torch has it did in my Curve 3G, even at 0 its very bright, but still i work for 8 hours, and the battery still last all that long, I play games, send emails, answer like 100 text in those 8 hours, even use the browser to go to a few of my favorite sites to read articules and blogs. I blog also, I do alot, but I recently got the torch, but it works great, what I highly recommend is  to Bright to 0, Close all the apps you aint using, turn off Bluetooth and wifi, always have 3 Sound Profile customize, for home use, leave it everything LOUD so u can hear it, for work, i put every under 6, dont use vibrate, that will drain ur battery alot, so check all ur App, some have vibrate pre-selected, so disable it, also, if your using torch, u have no need for any other browser but the one already included, it has tabs and fast, if what i read and understood, is that all the other browsers need to go through the default one to operate, so your basically opening 2 browsers, if u open of the opera mini or bolt, hold the BB key and see that they both are open.

Please use plain text.
wdender
My Device: White Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djmm
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: att

At work, several of the guys have androids, and if they use them at all they are constantly charging them. Sometimes I see they have to leave their phone behind to charge.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djmm
My Carrier: att

You can also use App Mngmnt> All, and click on each app; scroll down to usage; click GPU>Usage and see the day, week, and month usage. When I was looking to cut battery usage, I started with those GPS using apps to check usage, and deleted duplicate search apps like YP, or WHERE. Those seem to pop up in the GPU usage even though I never touched them. I was down to 50% battery in 4 hrs till then. Lock the screen and send to standby whenever possible; also, a holster that puts phone into standby REALLY helps. BB has some nice ones, spendy if you don't but them in the right places. Try Amazon, you can try several types for the price of one from service providers or stores. They wanted $20 for a screen protector and $7 to put it on for me. !Are you kidding me!?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

Running the display in a dimmer mode, and having a shorter timeout for the screen to go black will save battery power. But, there is a point where you want convenience for using the phone.

For my type of use, I have the brightness set to 60, and the timeout set to 90 seconds. When I am finished using the phone I press the lock button at the top left side. This shuts the screen right away.

Leaving applications opened will eat up battery power. Use the Escape key (on the immediate right side of the track pad) rather than the Red Stop key to leave programs. The Escape key shuts the application rather than simply brings back the desktop. Making sure the GPS is turned off when not required will save some battery power.

The largest consumption for power is when talking on the phone, and then using the GPS. The second level is the browser and email composition. When the phone is monitoring and recieving emails it will use more power.  But, this is what the phone is required for.  Watching videos and playing music also uses a lot of battery power.

When browsing the net, close unrequired tabs (web pages). Each tab left open uses memory and will use added battery power.

To allow for the phone to recharge a little faster, press the Escape key after you see the clock come up on the screen. By default, when connected to the charger the clock display comes up and stays up. Closing the clock app will reduce consumption when on charge; after the screen time-out value has been reached. This allows more energy for charging the battery. Doing this will make a bigger difference when charging from the USB port more so than from the wall charger. 

Just remember, if applications are running they consumer power. If the screen is on for long periods of time it will use more power. The Blackberry phones are very well designed. They are very efficient and work well. The only thing you can do as a user is try to refine how you use the phone.

I am a heavy user for emails, browsing, and talking. When I am out of my office I can get a full day out of the phone before I have to think about recharging the battery. I am using a Torch.

With the investment you put in to this type of phone you also want to be able to use and enjoy the features. Therefore there will be a compromise between battery life and usage.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abcbattery
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: T-M

Less playing games is the best  way to extend your Torch battery life .

Fix Mobile phone LCD-screen: http://www.fix-lcd-screen.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynnmhooper
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

My Torch Battery life is horrible

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've had my Torch for about 2 months. At first the battery charge life was acceptable then I upgraded the OS to v6.0.0534.  Ever since the upgrade my battery life has drained significantly faster. As a test, I fully charged it then turned it off immediately overnight. By morning the battery was totally dead!!!  That is just not right.  I called my carrier Support and the rep told me another guy who worked there had the same phone with the same problem after the software upgrade and he switched back to the previous version.  I haven't gotten around to doing that yet but I plan to do that soon.

I take care to ensure any unsused apps are closed and I turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth only when I need to use them, which is seldom.  I'm not a gamer so this is not what drains the battery. I seldom take pics with the phone but if I do, then "goodbye battery charge".

RIM needs to fix this Torch battery issue.

I like the phone features but if I'd had an inkling of how awful the battery drain was I would not have selected it.  If I were to go anywhere for more than about 6 hours and be unable to charge my phone, then it would be dead.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
szetwinne
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis

Re: My Torch Battery life is horrible

I've been using my Torch since Dec 2010. All this while I've been pretty satisfied with the battery life. It can go up to 2 days before I re-charge it. I ensure my phone is running on the lowest brightness (which is still quite bright), minimal application running on the background, always on standby when i'm not using, and so on. 

The last 2 weeks, my phone seems to be acting up. The battery drops to 50% within the first 4 hours after charging! Its totally ridiculous! And its not like I'm using it a lot! The battery heats up quite a bit but not like its super hot.

Can someone explain to me what is going on?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynnmhooper

Operating System v6.0.0534 Causes Battery Drain

[ Edited ]

Six days ago I went back to my Torch's previous operating system, and what a positive difference that has made to my battery life!!!!! Obiviously OS v v6.0.0534 is the culprit here and RIM had better do something about that sooner rather than later. I have not charged my Torch all weekend, it's now Monday morning and I still have a 45% charge remaining.  Additionally that annoying little clock that used to appear on screen when the system was frozen which was a lot of the time, has disappeared.  My bluetooth headset is also working perfectly again.  Before I "downgraded" my OS, I could not even make a voice call with my brand new Bluetooth headset, but that has now returned to normal.  I will NEVER upgrade my Torch again without first checking this forum to see if other users have problems with an upgrade. Shame on RIM for not testing this release more thoroughly. Lynn

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynnmhooper

Re: My Torch Battery life is horrible

Hi,

Did you do an upgrade to your phone's operating system and then start experiencing this battery problem?  If so, see my post below "Operating System v6.0.0534 Causes Battery Drain", and go back to the previous operating system.  That is done using the BlackBerry Desktop software.

Good Luck.

Lynn

Please use plain text.