Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

All the added circuits and larger OS for added functions contribute to more power usage even though they are in standby. This is part of the problem. I've looked at other brands of phones. The technology level are all very close. They all have similar problems in this retrospec. The level of technology itself are all similar.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fritzeys
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

KerriB

Thank you very much for the tip. Had mine set a bit higher.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
LiamRS
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi,

Thought i'd add my contribution to this post.

After doing what KerriB mentioned about extending battery life and what another forum blogger said about the subject on the CrackBerry website, i have managed to extend the battery of my Torch 9810 by 24 hours. I can now get just over 48 hours on a battery, which is much better than what i was getting.

Thank you KerriB for the advice. If there's anymore tips on extend the battery life, then, please let me know.

Liam. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
edwardrich01
My Device: 9100
My Carrier: AT&T

very glade to be here
Please use plain text.
hammy30
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: o2

Have had a nightmare to be honest. have upgraded from a bold to the torch and in 13 days have had 2 new phones sent to me because of battery problems. the first the battery was drained in 4 hours from 100 percent the second was on charge then just dumped the charge and never turned on again. just got a red flashing light!! am now waiting for number three to arrive as they feel its easier to replace the entire phone then fault find!! faulty  batch possibly??

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Your case is very unusual. I am in a working environment where there are many Blackberry phones and including a fair number of Torch around. We have not seen any excessive problems.

One thing I found with any of these phones, is when the WiFi is not being required it is best to turn it off. When there is no WiFi signal that could be logged in to the phone will a little more battery power to keep surching for one that it can be logged in to.

When not using the Bluetooth, it is best to also turn off this feature. The Bluetooth does not use as much power in the non use mode as the WiFi, but when on battery power every little bit of savings helps.

Set the Screen illumination to be at about 60%. A lower setting saves more power when the screen is illuminated. I set the timeout value to 90 seconds on my phone. When the phone is not in use, keep it in the lock mode.

In low level reception conditions the phone will use more power for polling the network. It will also use more power during conversations when the reception is not strong.

Leaving apps open will make the phone use more power even with the screen is not illuminated. Use the Esc key to close apps, and not the red Stop key to get out of the apps. If the app prompts to Exit, then click on the Exit prompt to close the app.

If the phone is receiving many emails, and especially over many email accounts it will use more power. It polls for emails about 4 times per hour. Downloading emails also uses more power.

Browsing the net and especially steaming videos or audio will use more power than normal phone conversation. Browsing the net also uses more power.

There are many factors that can cause greater rate of power usage.

For my phone, I keep a charger pluged in on my office desk. When I am in my office I keep the phone on charge for a while. In the car I have a car charger to keep the phone charged. I use a Bluetooth earphone most of the time. I use the phone a lot through the coarse of the day, and cannot keep holding it to my ear all the time.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gord1985
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: bell

How do i combine my contact list

i have 2 contact lists a gmail and a hotmail i want only one that is not at all associated with ether email accounts how do i do this... i know this is not the form for this but i can't figure out how to make a new fourm so this is the best thing i can think of so any help would be awsome im tring to ues Vlingo app but  it only recognizes my gmail account and its less then half of my contacts.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dazza73
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

Very good question
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
diffused
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Jerry, You mentioned that every day you have "a few hours of tethering". Remember, while you are tethered this does not consume your battery.  You are actually recharging your phone for that period of time.

~diffused
Z10, OS - 10.1.0.2151
Verizon
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I am tethering the Playbook to my Torch (phone) over Bluetooth. I am not tethering by wire to a laptop or desktop computer. I am usually using the Playbook like this while in a coffee shop, or while being driven in a taxi, or at a client's location.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.