Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Trusted Contributor
dazza73
My Device: 9780 bold and playbook 32gb
My Carrier: o2 uk

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

Alt and lglg
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anthony12
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Hello

I have a similar problem with battery life. This is on my second Torch within a month. I cannot understand what application might be still running. I had had GPS logger II, but de-installed it.  It hasn't made any difference. I am using about 10% battery per hour.

How can I find our what applicaitons are actually running in the background? The home screen shows eMail, LinkedIn, Phne, and BBM.

Grateful for any help.

Anthony

OS Version: 6.00 Bundle 2554 (v6.0.0.576, Platform 6.6.0.216)

Applications:
Battery Booster Pro v 1.2
BBC iPlayer
Blackberry Travel v 1.1.45.99
BuddyGuard Pro v 2.2.0.1
DB Rainavigator v 7.60.15
Documents To Go v 2.0005.105
Documents To Go Files v 2.0005.105
DriveSafe.ly Pro Complimentary v.2.100
Facebook v 2.0.0.50
Google Maps v 4.5.3
GPSLogger II v.2.3.1.2
Lloyds TSB Mobile Banking v.1.3
My PIN Barcode for BBM v2.1
One Touch Flashlight v 2.77
PDF To GO v. 2.0005.105
Poynt v.1.8.3
QR Code Scanner Pro Free v1.915
Qype v.3.1.54
Roboform for Blackberry v 1.2.6
Slide2Open Free v.1.500
Trainline TIckets v 1.1.33
Train Times v 1.9.8
Tube Map v 1.21.1
Twitter v2.0.0.16
Up2Date Free v1.110
Worldmate v.4.0.71.52
Your Orange v 1.0.66
YouTube v 1.0.0.40
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I am using the Torch most of the time.

This is what I would do for a start...

I would back up the files and data you created. Use Outlook or some other compatible program to sync with so you don't lose your phone and information list especially if you have a big one.

Wipe the phone completely using the wipe option. Re-install the OS. Have the Book Files re-sent to the phone. Now it will be back to its original new condition like when you bought it. Use your synchronized data to restore the data part only. Do not resore from the phone's full backup in the desktop manager. You don't want to bring back anything that may be corrupted since it is very much of an image backup.

Once you get going, use the phone like this for a week or so to know if the battery is running low too quickly.  Put off from installing any extra applications for this period. This will prove if an application was the problem or if it is something else.

After a week, if everything is okay, then put back any extra applications one at a time. Wait a number of days between each of them to see if there is a change in battery usage. You will be able to determine this way which application you installed that is causing a fault.

I was told, some of the free applications are using software for tracking and getting user information. Nothing is really free. If a software is active in the background this will consume power.  I had a free chess game that was causing me problem with my phone. I had to wipe the phone to fix the fault from it. I am very careful now about what I install in the phone. I use software that is from Blackberry only, or a business type software who I know is responsible and is supported.

I leave the Bluetooth and WiFi turned on 24/7. I talk maybe an hour a day on this phone. I use the Bluetooth earphone most of the time.  I found that in standby, after about 6 hours the battery level could go down as much as 20% below the top. I noticed that when the phone is receiving more emails, or I do more web browsing the battery runs down a bit faster. When I get to my office I connect the phone to the computer. I update my sync and leave it connected to the computer to top up the charge in case I have to go out again and use the phone a lot.

Over the coarse of the day, I may use the Play Book tethered to the phone for about 2 to 3 hours. This also uses some added battery power.

Maybe in about 12 hours of use I would drain the battery about 50% or so, but I am a heavy user.

Leaving the WiFi and the Bluetooth on uses more battery power. Having the screen at full brightness when using the net or email will use more power. Receiving and sending emails, and browsing the net will use some more power. Tethering and the bridge mode will also use more power.  I am sure you've been through all the battery saving tips...

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anthony12

Gerry

Thanks for a really helpful and detailed reply.

I will try your suggested fixes and, fingers crossed, hope they do the trick.

Your help is much appreciated.

Anthony

Applications:
BBC iPlayer
BuddyGuard Pro v 2.2.0.1
Facebook v 2.0.0.50
Google Maps v 4.5.3
GPSLogger II v.2.3.1.2
PDF To GO v. 2.0005.105
Poynt v.1.8.3
Qype v.3.1.54
Slide2Open Free v.1.500
Train Times v 1.9.8
Tube Map v 1.21.1
Twitter v2.0.0.16
Up2Date Free v1.110
Worldmate v.4.0.71.52
Your Orange v 1.0.66
YouTube v 1.0.0.40
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dazza73

Yeah thanx BUT if RIM done the job right in the first place we wouldn't have 2 done all this and enjoy our devices ???
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Once the phone's in the users posession RIM has no control of how we use it and what we install in it.

It's like when we buy a PC computer. It comes bare with nothing installed. We have to be careful what we install in to it, and how we use it.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dazza73

Fare point but look at the size of the battery its only little bit bigger than a curve? (8520)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anthony12

While in general terms I would agree with you, I would make 4 brief points

1.    Severe Battery drain is a problem experienced by lots of members of this Support Group who have the BB Torch;
2.    I never experienced this problem with my Curve 8520, yet I was running most of the same apps. Any smart phone should be stable enough to run apps designed for it;
3.    The problem on my phone appeared suddenly, after the phone had been in use for a few days. So the apps had been running on it beforehand without severe battery drain;
4.    This is the second Torch I have had inside 6 weeks. Both experienced the same problem with power drain.

I have done re-boots, battery pulls, complete power downs (even overnight), to no avail. Having totally powered down last night with 80% charge (having re-charged twice yesterday), I awoke this morning to a flat battery. On re-charging it, the phone went through a re-boot process. In other words, it was not what one would expect from  just having a flat battery. The re-boot suggested to me that there was an OS problem.

The conclusion from what I read here, and from my own experiences,  is that the OS produced for this BB is not functioning properly. Indeed, a newer version was brought out, I understand, for the latest Torch.

Regards

Anthony

Applications:
BBC iPlayer
BuddyGuard Pro v 2.2.0.1
Facebook v 2.0.0.50
Google Maps v 4.5.3
GPSLogger II v.2.3.1.2
PDF To GO v. 2.0005.105
Poynt v.1.8.3
Qype v.3.1.54
Slide2Open Free v.1.500
Train Times v 1.9.8
Tube Map v 1.21.1
Twitter v2.0.0.16
Up2Date Free v1.110
Worldmate v.4.0.71.52
Your Orange v 1.0.66
YouTube v 1.0.0.40
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dazza73

I thinking going back 2 me 9780
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I have to agree, the more computing power in a device, the greater the chance the battery drain will be also at a greater rate. Most likely there was not enough room to physically have a bigger battery. This adds to both size and weight.

More than the physical size of a battery is the importance of the Amp/Hour (A/hr) rating of the battery. The newer battery technology allows for greather power in a more compact and lighter size battery. Higher A/hr ratings also means a larger rating for the charger.

So, I've been told that the smart phones of today have more computing power than the consumer and small business type P4 computer of maybe 8 to 10 years ago. After seeing some of the bench tests I am in agreement with this. The SD cards of today that are being used like hard drives certainly have more space in them than the hard drives that were used in the P1 and many of the P2 level type computers.

I have a Torch that I use constantly through the day for a lot of email, some browsing, a few hours of tethering, and phone calls. I don't have battery issues with it, unless I was to sit down and do about 4 hours of watching videos on it, and listing to music for most of the day. Most other phones have the same battery issues if they are to be used very heavily.

If you really want a lot of power, check out the portable battery chargers that use a larger battery, that can recharge a phone. I have seen some universal types available. You can use it as a battery pack. You would have to search the net for a gadget like that. Personally, I would not recommend this.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.