Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
szetwinne
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis

Re: My Torch Battery life is horrible

Nope, I'm not using v6.0.0534. i'm still on v6.0.0448

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

Go to your dealer and get another battery. This will prove if the fault is the battery or the phone.

I own a number of Blackberry phones. We are on our fourth generation of them. I had a new one where the battery was draining fast. Changing the battery fixed it. I had another one with a fast draining battery. Re-installing its operating system fixed it.

There are a number of factors that will drain the battery faster. The most common is havimg apps running in the background. The browser, or any ome of the active conferencing software are big on battery drain. I also found sending and receiving emails is moderate but not too hard on the battery usage.

Talking on the phone, or watching videos is the hardest for the battery. Data streaming videos is the ultimate process to run down the battery.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

The problem was most likely an application or a file in the OS was corruped. Our Blackberry's are using the latest OS version and there are no such faults. We have a number of Torch and Bold phones.

If you go back to the newer OS most likely you will not have the fault. If so, there is a fault with the particular phone's hardware.

I use the brightness at 70 to 80 most of the time. I am outdoors and mostly well lighted places. I am a very heavy user with emails and talking with clients. I can get a full day between charges. The average call is about 5 to 10 minutes. I get a few that can go over 30 minutes. I average about 50 to 80 minutes per day for talk time. I do about 50 emails and text messages each day. I am sending this message from my Torch using the touch screen. This phone has the latest OS installed.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
a15c66
My Device: torch
My Carrier: satelindo

Re: My Torch Battery life is horrible

I have experienced the same problem with battery draining so fast after upgrade to v6.0.0534. I'm really disappointed and now thinking to switch to other supplier as I can't stand reputable companies making **bleep** load of money such as RIM to be so careless and distribute bugged upgrade to their user.

I truly hope to see a solution soon. In the mean time does anyome has any guide on how to downgrade to the previous OS release?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

As like I mentioned before, there may be other issues. I upgraded and have no problems. You may have something running in the background you are not realizing, or there is an actual hardware fault. I had oje phone that I had to wipe it and make a new re-install. I then took only the data files that I created from the backup.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynnmhooper
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hi,

When I was experiencing my Torch problems (before I downgraded the OS), I made sure I had no programs ruinning in the background.  Everything I need on my Torch works perfectly since I downgraded last week so I am not going to play with fire by upgrading to the same lousy OS again.  I'll keep the status quo and a working phone.

Thanks for your info.

Lynn

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Like I said, I have no issues with the latest OS in my Blackberry phones.

There are many apps that the OS is comprised of. If there are any corrupted files the user cannot know unless he sees an error message. It ia also the same for any operating system.

When you reinstall the new OS, make sure you only put back user created files from the backup, and not any system files or programs. All executables must be freshly installed. You don't know which one is the corrupted one if this is the case.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
a15c66

yup you right I checked and found the "phone" application going crazy having a peak of CPU occupation up to 100% and this is happening continously. I checked with the Torch of my wife and it's not doing that so this is definitively wrong. My torch hang oftenly as well now then 1 or 2 mins later is back to normal.

There is no much I can do with the phone application can I? I certainly cannot shut it down.

And all this started after I upgrade the device to the latest version.

Now is there anyone who can tell me how to downgrade my phone to the previous version or how to wipe it out and re-install from scratch?

Thanks

AC

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynnmhooper
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hi AC,

The downgrade is done through the BlackBerry Desktop Software.  I don't have my USB cable here right now to connect to my PC to double check the steps I did, but I believe this information from BlackBerry Desktop Help is how you do it, except choose the Previous Software version you want to Downgrade to.

Update your BlackBerry Device Software

You might want to update your BlackBerry® Device Software for one of the following reasons:

• To access new applications and features
  • To resolve a technical issue
  • Your wireless service provider requires that you update the BlackBerry Device Software

If an updated version of the BlackBerry Device Software is available for you to download, on the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, the new version number is listed and the Update button appears.

It might take up to an hour to update your device software. During that time, you cannot disconnect your BlackBerry device from your computer.

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Update.
    • To download an update, click Get update.
    • To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • To keep a backup file of your device data and settings, select the Back up your device data check box. This backup file is restored to your device after the update is complete. If you don't back up your data, your device data, settings, and email messages are deleted from your device after the update is installed.
    • To encrypt your backup data, click Encrypt backup file.
    • If you want to receive an email when an updated version of BlackBerry Device Software is available, select the Email me when new versions are available check box.
  4. Click Install update.
When you receive a confirmation message that the update is complete, you can disconnect your device.
Good Luck.
Lynn

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
a15c66

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your info: it worked.

I'm back to normal now except for one thing: when I hook up my Torch to the Desktop Manager now it says that the Calendar is not installed (which is obviously not true as I'm using the calendar regularly on my Torch) and so it won't sync the calendar data with Outlook anymore.

I tried to set it up on the Desktop Manager but after setup the Calendar is still deactivated.

On the Device I can't find any setting.

Does anyone knows what the problem could be?

Cheers

AC

Please use plain text.