Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Trusted Contributor
ratcat
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10

Facebook Notifications

Rather odd.  Yesterday my Facebook notifications started showing up like this when I open them:

Posted by Facebook User

In Unknown Album

Dec 31, 1969 16:00

Retrieving photo comments...

Then nothing.  They have been working fine for many a month prior to this.

Blackberry Torch 9810

Facebook for Blackberry v3.2.0.12

I am kinda thinking this is a Facebook issue as I've notice even the Facebook Group notifications have changed some.  Anyone have any ideas here to help me out?

Thank you

Forums Advisor I
LCromwell
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

Re: Facebook Notifications

Yes I had trouble with the 3.2 version. Are you a member of BB Beta? If so they released a new version yesterday. Go to FB options and scroll near bottom and look for an update if you are not a member of Beta.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Trusted Contributor
ratcat

LCromwell,

Thank you for the reply.  There currently is no update available.  Perhaps this is the reason it is messed up as this all started yesterday and you mention an update released yesterday.

I am not a member of Blackberry Beta but will try to find some information on that.  T is rather madding at the moment as it has been working fine on this version since I installed it months ago.

Forums Advisor I
LCromwell

The version I have currently thru Beta is 3.3.0.6. Try and type in BlackBerry beta.com and if you get in try and register.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Trusted Contributor
ratcat

Thank you again for the info.  I was able to sign up and download and install the newest beta FB app...  Alas it does not fix the issue.  In looking at this further it appears that notifications involving a photo are the issue.  Other notifications have changed in appearance also.  I suspect that this is going to be a widespread issue as either RIM or FB has changed something in the way they handle pushed notifications.

Thank you

Trusted Contributor
ratcat

An update to this...

There is a long thread on this on Blackberry Beta Facebook App.

I posted as well there now letting them know that it is not a beta issue as it was happening to me on v3.2 as of yesterday.  So I suppose we can say this is not something us mere users have any control over.

Forums Advisor I
LCromwell

Well I'm not having a y problems with it.
Sorry you are? I'm assuming you're booted after update?
Trusted Contributor
ratcat

Well it isn't just me its a number of people.  As you are not having issues and others are we can most likely correctly assume that Facebook has tweaked they way they are doing things and as always roll these great feature updates to groups of accounts at a time.  One has to love Facebook.

New Contributor
jasonrose
My Device: Blackberry 9930

Same issue here,   I receive the notification, click it and it pops up with "posted by facebook user in 'unknown album' Dec 31, 1969 6:00pm".  I'm not receiving notifications for post comments at all.  

Thought I'd google around to see if it was just mine or what...  Found an old blog from '04 where the individual was receiving blank emails with that same date on them, but 7:00pm instead of 6:00pm.  

Forums Advisor I
LCromwell

Yes I know.