Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Few questions about wifi vs. data (I did search!)

I am still confused about my monthly data limit and how using wifi can help. (I think the whole having the data limit is worrying me.) For example, I downloaded the Pandora app. Is it just plain stupid to use that without being on a wifi network bc of all the data it uses? More importantly, when I am signed into a wifi network, would that Pandora app really not use any of my data allotment? Even though I'm playing songs yada yada yada? Or does being signed into wifi only save your data on email and texts? Thanks to anyone who can help. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Few questions about wifi vs. data (I did search!)

When you are connected to a wifi point, your phone will always use that as its point of accessing data because its faster. So email, bbm any apps that need data will use the wifi connection and NOT the data allowance of ur network.

Pandora I believe is a data hungry app so to use it without an unlimited data plan when not connected to wifi would be silly. Most apps like that will warn u if u aren't connected to wifi that u could run up a large bill if u connect using your network connection.

Texts are different because they come via the network but u don't get charged data for them.
If i help solve your problem, Click that button to the right of the screen.

Thank you very much.

Rob
Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Few questions about wifi vs. data (I did search!)

On your homescreen, go to Manage Connections.  Scroll down to Mobile Network Options.  Click it.  Under Connection Preference, drop down the menu and choose Wi-Fi Preferred.  That way, anytime you're in an area to which you're connected to a saved Wi-Fi connection, your phone will default to the Wi-Fi connection and you won't use any data on your cell data plan.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.