Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: GuffGaff
Accepted Solution

Forgotten Password/BB Protect Restore

Hi,

Not wishing to take my phone on hols with me recently I set a password on it before I left and made a note of it, just to be safe in the knowledge that it would be more secure in the unlikely event that was stolen.  On returning, I've entered what I believe to be the password but I'm now at the 9th entry attempt and it's still not working.  I've made sure that I press the Alt key at the right time for the respective characters but I fear I'm going to end up having to go down the wipe route as it's still not accepting my password.

I have BB Protect installed, but my last backup was in Feb.  I think that backups have not been functioning because my contract was terminated and now having subsequently bought a SIM from Giffgaff my number is different (perhaps someone could confirm if this is likely to be the case).

Can someone please advise as to whether if I do have to wipe the device, will I be able to restore from the Feb backup even though it was done under a different mobile number - will BB Protect care as it is still the same device with the same PIN?  Do I somply follow the instructions here - Blackberry Protect Restore - KB25063?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Forgotten Password/BB Protect Restore

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It is unfortunate that you are unable to properly enter your device lock password, and there is no way to override it...only correctly entering it will unlock your device and prevent the full WIPE.

As to restoring from BB Protect...BB Protect stores backups as part of the BBID, not the device PIN. Hence, after the wipe, if you associate the BB to the same BBID that was used when the backup was conducted, it should be available for restore. However, please carefully review this KB so that you properly associate the BB to the BBID and do not lose any prior backups:

• KB31489 BlackBerry Protect for BlackBerry smartphones does not display any backup files to restore

Do also note please that BB Protect is a perfectly fine component of a proper backup procedure...however, it should not (IMHO) be relied on as the sole component. Refer to the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for further information.

Clarrylove wrote:
I think that backups have not been functioning because my contract was terminated and now having subsequently bought a SIM from Giffgaff my number is different (perhaps someone could confirm if this is likely to be the case).

No one here, in this user-to-user community, can confirm anything for you in this regard. All we can tell is is what "should" be the case...but we have no access to anything by which to confirm anything with authority. Refer:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Many thanks for the quick response - much appreciated.

Can you advise, is the BBID that Protect requires associated with the App or with the entire device? I can't remember specifying an ID when I bought the App, so am assuming that it's the one for the device - if this is the case, when/where do I enter this after the wipe has been completed and the rebuild starts?

Sorry for so many questions :smileysad:

Thanks
Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

BBID is associated to the entire device, and handles a great many services -- BBWorld, BB Protect, BBM, etc. etc. etc. Once you associate (at initial device setup) a BBID to the device, it remains so until a device WIPE is conducted, which (among other actions) separates the device from the BBID (e.g., when transferring the device to someone else, you don't want all of your personal account information, BBWorld purchases, BBM Contacts, etc. going along with it).

So, you would have done the BBID association with the device when you first setup the device. Thereafter, there is usually no need to enter the credentials again (e.g., for BBWorld purchases) since the device is already associated to the BBID, which is where the records are maintained (sometimes you are prompted to re-enter the password for security reasons).

Once you complete the WIPE, the initial setup configuration wizard will automatically start...one of the steps therein is to log into an existing BBID account or to create a new one with which to associate the BB.

No problem about questions...such is the reason for my existence here!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Excellent - I successfully signed into BB Protect via a browser earlier so assuming that the BBID is the same as that login ID I think I should be fine.

Thanks again for your help.
Hall of Famer II

You are very welcome, and good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: vodacom

Hi
I seem to forget my bb protect password so now I cnt even use bbm since I dnt remember my passwork and its been locked now so how do I get the password so that I will continue using my 9320 like always...Help please
Hall of Famer II

Lumks wrote:
Hi
I seem to forget my bb protect password so now I cnt even use bbm since I dnt remember my passwork and its been locked now so how do I get the password so that I will continue using my 9320 like always...Help please

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please see this "sticky" post for helpful information concerning your BBID situation:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates