Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Regular Contributor
ralphsaperstein
My Device: Torch
Accepted Solution

Freezes

My BB Torch 9810 freezes and displays a little icon that seems to take the place of an hour glass.  When it freezes there is nothing I can do to get back to operating except waiting.  This happens at all different times including during a call which prevents me from hanging up.

I have spent hours with AT&T.  All they could recommend is wiping it clean.  I did and it still freezes!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ralph Saperstein

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Freezes

This is usually due to low memory.  Look in Options >memory and see how much free application memory you have. 

However, that said, I recommend an OS upgrade.  AT&T currently doesn't offer an upgrade to 7.1 but many have found this particular OS, version 7.1.0.378, to work well on AT&T devices. 

1. Go the site below, click on the download for the 9810, download and install to your PC.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=0C4B1EEB45C90B52BFB9D07943D8...

2. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

4. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.  (It will automatically make a backup but you can use BlackBerry Desktop Software to make a manual backup first if you desire.)  It will take 30 minutes to an hour to backup, load new OS, and restore the backup. 

Note:  This OS is not supported by AT&T.  They will not support you if you have problems with the device.  That said, OS's are all developed by RIM for specific devices, and not branded to a specific carrier.  It is perfectly safe (and often beneficial) to install other carrier's OS's to your device.  You can always reinstall the official AT&T-released version later if you don't like it or if you need support.  However, since they were of little help, not getting support won't be a big problem at this point!  Don't install a newer version than 7.1.0.378 later builds have had a microphone problem on AT&T devices where the other party can't hear you...like your phone is on mute. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ralphsaperstein

Free Memory 163592657 bytes

I am using a MAC, is there a different site for Apple?  I downloaded but can't run the file.

Thanks,

Ralph

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Memory looks fine.

You need a PC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ralphsaperstein

If the memory is fine, then my issue must be with the operating system?  I will try it on a PC.

Thanks,

Ralph

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

If you weren't on ATT I would recommend 7.1.0.569 or higher but the mic issues are a problem. 7.1.0.378 has gotten good reviews. My 9810 on Tmo was freezing all the time on earlier OS's.

No guarantees but I think you'll see an improvement with .378
Please use plain text.
Contributor
emiliowilde
My Device: Torch 9810, Torch 9800, Storm 9550, Curve 9300, Curve 8520

I suppose there is something wrong as i can not update enything, this loader only shoes me the way to install and uninstall apps, nothing more, there something that i've missed???

John_Clark wrote:

This is usually due to low memory.  Look in Options >memory and see how much free application memory you have. 

However, that said, I recommend an OS upgrade.  AT&T currently doesn't offer an upgrade to 7.1 but many have found this particular OS, version 7.1.0.378, to work well on AT&T devices. 

1. Go the site below, click on the download for the 9810, download and install to your PC.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=0C4B1EEB45C90B52BFB9D07943D8...

2. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

4. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.  (It will automatically make a backup but you can use BlackBerry Desktop Software to make a manual backup first if you desire.)  It will take 30 minutes to an hour to backup, load new OS, and restore the backup. 

Note:  This OS is not supported by AT&T.  They will not support you if you have problems with the device.  That said, OS's are all developed by RIM for specific devices, and not branded to a specific carrier.  It is perfectly safe (and often beneficial) to install other carrier's OS's to your device.  You can always reinstall the official AT&T-released version later if you don't like it or if you need support.  However, since they were of little help, not getting support won't be a big problem at this point!  Don't install a newer version than 7.1.0.378 later builds have had a microphone problem on AT&T devices where the other party can't hear you...like your phone is on mute. 

Regards from Your Friend Emilio Wilde
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Check these locations for another copy of the vendor.xml file.  Delete every instance of the vendor.xml you find then run loader.exe again.

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
emiliowilde
My Device: Torch 9810, Torch 9800, Storm 9550, Curve 9300, Curve 8520

John_Clark wrote:

Check these locations for another copy of the vendor.xml file.  Delete every instance of the vendor.xml you find then run loader.exe again.

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

Great Job

Thank you, now even the Hotspot option appears

Well done, go ahead and post more solutions!

Regards from Your Friend Emilio Wilde
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ralphsaperstein

It worked!!! Borrowed my wife's PC and downloaded the OS then loaded on my Torch.  Everything seems to be working great.  Hourglass icon comes on for just a second when it is doing something.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!

Please use plain text.