Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Freezing screen and then get uncaught exception error (148)

I have reported this so many times to BB that I am starting to think they don't really have anyone out there fixing these things as we have had at least one update since the first report and its still happening.

My device freezes up and eventually comes back with the following message:

Uncaught exception: Application net-rim-bb-messaging-app (148) is not responding: process terminated.

Then control is returned to the device.

Its now starting to freeze up when I turn the device on first thing in the morning, though here it doesn't normally come up with the message but after about 5 mins will give me access to the device.

Any Ideas, solutions? 

New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Freezing screen and then get uncaught exception error (148)

I have the identical frustrating problem and have tried OS version upgrades, a data wipe, long sessions on tech support and still no solution.  Just a freeze with the little clock face and after a few minutes the following message:

Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_messaging_app (148) is not responding; process terminated

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

When something like this occurs, I find the best solution is to reload your OS.  Not a newer version, but just the one that you currently have running.  I'm not sure why it works, but it's usually the wake-up call your phone needs to perform properly.

To do this, plug your phone into your PC via USB and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has connected, click Device at the top of the software then Restore from the drop-down menu.  Choose the most recent restore point and proceed.

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hi Bill, thanks for the quick response and suggestion. I have followed your advice. So far, so good but it's only been an hour or less. I'll advise again later. Cheers, Dan