Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Developer
traigo
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

GPS fix in google maps

Are any other Torch owners having a problem with Google Maps and GPS fixes? It seems to be a coin toss as to whether I'll get a fix or not. If it does, it can take 2 minutes. Today, after 5 minutes in the boonies I just closed maps. I can understand not getting a fix in a city with tall buildings, but my Bold 9000 didn't have trouble in the same places that the torch seems to have.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS fix in google maps

I've not had a problem getting a GPS fix on the Torch.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
chemprod
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Yeah, I just picked mine up yesterday and updated to Google Maps 4.4.0 and it looks like I'm having the same issues.  I'm located in a large populated city and I souldnt have issues with GPS satellites not finding my location.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

chemprod wrote:

Yeah, I just picked mine up yesterday and updated to Google Maps 4.4.0 and it looks like I'm having the same issues.  I'm located in a large populated city and I souldnt have issues with GPS satellites not finding my location.

Regardless of population, satellites fly overhead all sizes of towns, cities and metropolitan areas.

The problem is, large buildings can block your GPS. I've just seen it to many times, especially of you are stationary. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Basking88
My Device: Torch 9800

I have the same problem and i live in south florida

i opean google maps and it takes 5 mins or so  to get a good lock it sayd its with in 30 meters but its loike 5 miles away if not more,

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmatazzoni
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

[ Edited ]

I'm using version 4.4 on a Blackberry Torch, which is supposed to have GPS.   I read the Help docs, and was sure to enable GPS in the Blackberry and in the Maps progrm. No go. I do not get GPS.  I used to get GPS with my older model, too.  Ideas, anyone?

Please use plain text.