Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
jeanphilt
My Device: Not Specified

Geolocation not working

I used this example to test the GPS location via Javascript on my website :

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11944/CS_Retrieving_a_GPS_loc_by_using_a_web_p...

The problem is that I always get 0 (zero) instead of the latitude / longitude / timestamp

I use the Blackberry Browser

I've noticed that in Options / Device / Location Settings / Location

I get :

Last update : None

Latitude : N 0 0.00'

Longitude : W 0 0.00

Accuracy 0.0 m

Number of satellites : 0

Address : Unknown

My settings are :

GPS Data Source : Device GPS

Location Services : Location On

Location Aiding : Enabled

Location Data : Enabled

In the Browser Options :

Geolocation Permissions is empty (by the way, there are no way to add sites in there to my knowledge ...)

Enable Geolocation is checked

Enable Javascript is also checked

My "network provider" is Rogers Wireless : www.rogers.com

I use :

Blackberry 9800 smartphone (3G,Wi-FI)

6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)

Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue ?

Thank you,

JP

New Contributor
jeanphilt

Re: Geolocation not working

Ok after 3 hours trying everything, I got some data in "Options / Device / Location Settings / Location"

And the web site started to work as well ...

But the thing is that it seems it retrieved the data only once since now the "last update date" is not changing and the data neither ...

I tried to move in the buidling but no luck, what triggers the updates ?

Thank you,

JP

New Contributor
jeanphilt

Finally I took the phone with me after work and once in my car it started to get the location data more often, so I guess moving triggers it ... kinda weird it had no data at all before and with all the big windows in my office, it's weird it does not get the location from inside

Ssg3y
My Device: Tour 9630

BB's geolocation (cell tower triangulation versus GPS satellites) is horrible.  See how quickly an Apple device locates using triangulation before it can lock on to satellites.  Google Maps for BB has its own triangulation component that works well.  Having trouble using Facebook places or any other 3rd party app?  it's because BB only really works with satellites.  That "location aiding" feature can be enabled, but it doesn't appear to do anything.

Contributor
paolo_italy
My Device: 9700 Vodafone Brand

A question about geolocation and Google Maps: you say Google Maps has its own triangulation components; in effect it works fine using os5 (I'm on Bold 9700), but it doesn't work using os6 and 3G Vodafone network: BIS disconnects everytime the app tries to find position using cells. It works in any other conditions (GPS, 2G, WiFi).

Where is the problem? RIM, Vodafone, or something else?

Ssg3y
My Device: Tour 9630

Paolo, my guess is RIM.  It's probably just another security "feature" that cannot be controlled by the user.