Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Glitchy Torch...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I purchased the Blackberry Torch 9800 last October or November. At first, I thought it was just me and getting used to a new phone, (have had Curve, Pearl, 8900, etc...I truly love Blackberrys), but it's not just me.

I don't want to go into all of the issues I have with this phone. I simply want to state that it's the worst cell phone I've ever owned.

It freezes, the screen goes black and gives weird message about pushing the unlock button, it doesn't register my touch all the time...well, the bottom line is this...again, it is by far the WORST cell phone I've used.

I am seriously considering just going back to my 8900, that's how bad it is. I have to reboot, (remove the battery), about 3 times/week. Ridiculous for a smart phone these days.

I know you say to post all my info, screen shots of the problems, descriptions of the problems, but I'm not really asking for fixes. I'm just venting because I love Blackberrys but I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated with this one!

I'll never, ever own an IPhone, but yet may go with something different as soon as my contract is up...in another 2 years...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Also, I purchased from an AT&T Authorized Dealer and it took over 6 months for me to realize that my phone sucked, so didn't return in the first 60 days.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Glitchy Torch...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that. I love mine and have over 40 happy users with Torch.

if you want to try looking into whats wrong....

What OS are you on? On Device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

Also

Older apps transfered to the device with Device switcher can cause issue if not compatable with OS 6. On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Guess it won't kill me to try to see if there's a fix! Ha!  In advance, thanks for your help.

I tried the MYVER and it was "23"...and here I thought the answer to everything was "42".  Maybe I didn't do it correctly.

Some of it you know, but here goes:

Torch 9800

AT&T

OS 6.0 Bundle 695

v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105

I have the following apps:

System Software, of course and all req software

AOL IM

BB App World

BB App Center

BB Maps

BB Messenger

BrickBreaker

Facebook

Social Feeds????

Twitter

Windows Live Messenger

Word Mole

YouTube

AT&T App Center

Documents To Go

Google Mobile App

Whew!  That's it then.  I did do as you suggested and looked CPU usage, but nothing stood out.

Let me know if you can help, but please don't spend a lot of time on it.  I may just be one of the people that got a glitchy one.  And thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

I have most of those apps, cept for docs to go, AIM and WLM.

have you looked at app world to see if any updates are available for those apps you listed?

also can do a alt RST in app world to reset it.

Have you tried to remove the media card and see performance is better?

If you want to go drastic, you can backup the device, wipe it, see if it is fine and restore apps one by one to see which one is causeing the glitch.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

I don't know what telepathic-magic you worked, Knottyrope, but you did do something!

I checked for updates on apps and all of a sudden, 4 or 5 of them had updates...duh.  The only thing I'm worried about now is that this phone has been glitchy since day 1, so this might not help anyway.  Oh, well, we'll see.

Can you please sort out something for me?  I've been posting and reading posts about my frustration with this phone.  Certain ones advocate uploading newer OS's, i. e. 337 and 448.  What is your take on doing this before AT&T releases?

I did follow directions to try to update to 448.  I downloaded OS to my PC.  Then I deleted Vendor file.  I ran Install Wizard for 448 and on last screen shot, I said "yes" to open DM and Finish.  Every single time...Fail!  I tried rebooting before and after; I tried deleting Vendor file before and after...no matter what I did, when DM launched, it still had version 246.

After about 6 - 8 tries, I gave up.  Anyway, you've been a great help, so wanted your opinion.

Thx.

Guru III
My Device:

448 is working great for me.

If you have an internet connection to your PC it will download vendor.xml whne you launch it.

Try using loader.exe in the same place that you delete the vendor.xml file.

Or follow this thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch-9800-smartphone/Latest-OS-6-0-0-448/td-p/787...

New Contributor

Knottyrope, do you recommend complete wipe of BB or can I try to download .448 and see what happens?  (After Backup, of course.)

Thx!

Guru III
My Device:

Either way it can work. I use loader.exe

New Contributor

Knottyrope, you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There...more !'s than r's in my subject. 

Okay, downloaded .448 and so far, so good.  Thanks for the instructions.  I didn't do complete wipe and still everything seems fine.  I'll letcha know if anything comes up in the future.

I do so sincerely thank you for all of your help and your time.

Now, about your screen name...there's this really old joke about a string or rope that walks into a bar...can't remember the middle part to save my life, but the punchline is "'Fraid not"...used to crack me up.  Anyway, that's what your screen name reminds me of and that's good because I'll always remember to come back to you if I need an expert.

Take care.

Kristi

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780 OS 6
My Carrier: Rogers Canada

hey there, does your Documents To Go work properly ie: does it have View & Edit modes, or have you ever used it? i'm on my 2nd Torch now, and it works waaay better than 1st but cant get Docs To Go to work properly. Anyone else have any fixes? i have os 6.0.0.448, latest update thru desktop mgr 1 week ago, solved some minor issues but still didnt cure DTG, which is latest premium 2.0 paid & activated edition. thanks for any help