Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Youngboots
My Device: Blackberry torch 9860
Accepted Solution

HELP! my 9860 is frozen trying to update software

Hey, i downloaded software and tried to install it but its been stuck on 6% backing up your data (social feeds) and i cant restart my device as it keeps going back on to the loading screen. i tried to attach it to my bb desktop but it just goes grey and unresponsive when i plug my phone into the laptop, pulled the battery and everything, really stuck can anyone help? cheers

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HELP! my 9860 is frozen trying to update software

Try starting the device in safe mode and see if you can cancel the update process.

Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877

The only other way I know is do as you have done, to connect to the PC.. and while connecting, insert the battery and see if it will recognize the device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Youngboots

Hey, thanks i left it overnight and its continued on to restoring my data just freaked out a little when it was stuck at 6% for 5 hours ha thats it just finally updated now. Thanks for your help no doubt i'll need  that advice if ever update my phone again. cheers

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Great. That social feeds database is known to hang on many device backups. You're lucky it proceeded.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jncorp
My Device: Torch 9860

I'm having the same problem and have spent the last five hours trying to fix it.

It's stuck at 6% for 'backing up your data' with social feeds at 0%. I was trying to update from OS 7.0 to 7.1.

I have tried battery pulls (dozens of times), using the desktop manager (which shows my phone model but won't let me select any options) and tried loading my phone in safe mode as well. When safe mode loads it just goes right back into 'backing up your data' and I can't access anything.

Is there any way to just top this? I don't even care if I have 7.1 and it was just done on a whim when I saw it was available. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jncorp
My Device: Torch 9860

Left it plugged in and untouched for about five hours and come home to find it just as I left it. 0% social feeds and 6% overall. Blackberry Desktop Manager still doesn't even recognize that my Torch is connected to the computer.

How do I stop the back up since it's not working? Anyone from RIM out there???

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Youngboots

Hey pal, I just let my battery run out overnight and when I started charging in the morning it had moved on to other stages of downloading and carried on quite quickly, not sure if it was a fluke, can't hurt to try? Hope this helps
Please use plain text.
JSanders

jncorp wrote:

Blackberry Desktop Manager still doesn't even recognize that my Torch is connected to the computer.

How do I stop the back up since it's not working? Anyone from RIM out there???

1. You must follow the directions I posted above.

2. You need to first determine why your PC is not detecting that the Torch is connected. Try a different USB port.. use a main rear USB port, not a USB hub or front PC port.

3. This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the EULA and message upon registration.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
roliB
My Device: blackberry 9790

Hi I have the same problem and it has been since 6a.m this morning. I use a bold 6 and I have tried everything my phone is still not coming on please are there any more solutions I'm really sad haven't been able to communicate today
Please use plain text.
JSanders

roliB wrote:
Hi I have the same problem and it has been since 6a.m this morning. I use a bold 6 and I have tried everything my phone is still not coming on please are there any more solutions I'm really sad haven't been able to communicate today

You have tried "everything", what is that?

What state is your device in now.. any blinking red LED ?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.