Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Handset Speaker Mysteriously Non-functional

Torch 9850, 7.1 Bundle 2879 (v7.1.0.1066, Platform 5.1.0.699)  Handset speaker will not work and/or works intermittently then stops.  Hard Reset sometimes will reactivate handset speaker but then next call handset speaker will again stop working.  What is the problem and solution?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Handset Speaker Mysteriously Non-functional

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks sdgardne,  Have been reading your previous posts to similar issue and have implemented what you wrote.  Am currently having issue with Wipe/REload process as boot in safe mode showed same problem.  Current issue not is a 507 error code on my device when attempting software reload.  I am on a Mac and just got done going through all preferences looking for power management on USB connection.  Mac doesnt seem to have a turn on/turn off function for its USB ports (at least on my older MacBook it doesnt) I have all power options set to max but am not optimistic that will havew any impact.  Any other advice for 507 reboot error issue? 

Hall of Famer II

I have no help for you on MAC...all of my knowledge is restricted to Windows PC only. Sorry.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Could you give me any info about the 507 error message? I do have PC computers as well I just didn't have one when I first got BlackBerry and have never needed to load BBdsktop on them. The phone seems to be jamming when trying to reload. How do I do a full wipe and reload? The phone will now only get through about 2/3 of the status bar line when attempting to restart (battery pull) and safe mode restart does no better.
Contributor

Maybe making progress.  Somehow the 507 error message (at least in this case) means that NO operating software is loaded onto the device.  Somerhing must have gone wrong on the reload.  Replugging phone into computer (mac), BBdssktp said "could not connect to device" and offered a "repair" option.  That is what I am working on now.  Only 1200 some odd more files to download... will keep you posted.

Contributor

1st try at repair was unsuccessful.  Still got 507 error about 2/3 way through restart per status bar on phone screen.  Desktop software then hangs as it is waiting for a "restart" signal from the phne that never comes.  Becomes a bit of a pain because software advises "not to disconnect" device but since nothing is going anywhere you have to disconnect the device otherwise you can't even close the desktop software.  Upon disconnect and after dsktop software catches up, dsktop software will inform that "repair was unsuccessful... try again?" I can't remember whether this prompt was automatic from the software or when I reconnect the phone to the computre.  REgardless it then allows for the repair function again.  This time I am not going with the "Recommended" software version (7.1.0.2879) but instead downgrading to the other option of 7.0.something.  Will see if this works.  **bleep**.

Hall of Famer II

507 indeed means that there is no OS on the device. With a PC, I know how to recover that...with a MAC, I am clueless.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Please tell how to recover the device with a PC.  I will install Blackberry Desktop on my PC if the mac won't finish the installation.  The OS data file download for the repair is going extremely slow...intiial file count was near 2000.  I have a DSL modem with a wireless AP and for some reason (is it the device, software, or wireless network?) the file download has gotten hung at 593.  I am going to let it percolate overnight and hope that the glitch is in the wireless network and that it will pick up again.  Failing that I will connect the computer direct to the modem and start over. **bleep**

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (This is moot in your situation, but for future reference...)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now, proceed with the use these tricks...if any suggest you use an "update website", substitute please...what you installed to your PC, either the Desktop Software or LOADER.EXE directly

Good luck!:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates