Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

[ Edited ]

<Device/Service I am using>

I have an AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800. I am using Blackberry Internet Service (BIS).

<What I am attempting to accomplish>

I need to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature from my device.

<My issue - problem history>

Prior to the activation of the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, I was successfully syncing my Google contacts with the Default address book on the device. Now that the AT&T Address Book has been activated, syncing with my Google contacts is no longer possible.

I have not discovered how to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature. The only option available is to "sync now" (with AT&T Address Book).

<Actions I have taken in attempt to resolve the issue>

I have performed a Security Wipe on the device. It appears that it does not disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, which reappears again.

<What is the AT&T Address Book?>

On the AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800, under Setup, there are different icons for features you want to set up. One of them is called AT&T Address Book. When you click on that icon, it begins the registration process for AT&T Address Book. You have the choice to Accept or Decline.

Once accepted, all future contacts created on the device can only be listed on the AT&T Address Book contact list. It is no longer possible to create contacts in the Default address book on the device.

<Blackberry Knowledge Base reference: AT&T Address Book>

KB24080 - Synchronization with the AT&T Address Book in BlackBerry 6

The AT&T Address Book provides the ability to synchronize contacts on the BlackBerry® smartphone to an online AT&T Address Book that can be accessed by visiting http://addressbook.att.net. After an account is created, contacts can be added, edited, and viewed using this online resource. The contacts are saved on the AT&T network, and can be easily recovered or restored in the event of an upgrade, damage, or loss of a BlackBerry smartphone. Below is a list of features advertised with the AT&T Address Book:

• Automatic Backup: Your contacts on a compatible AT&T mobile phone are backed up to your AT&T Address Book, and changes you make are automatically saved.
  • Online Access: Conveniently access, manage, and text message your contacts from a computer.

Note: Contacts stored within the AT&T Address Book on the BlackBerry smartphone will not synchronize via the BlackBerry® Desktop Software to a Personal Information Management (PIM) application on the computer (for example, Microsoft Outlook). The BlackBerry Desktop Software is designed to synchronize information between a PIM application and the BlackBerry smartphone using the smartphone's default contact list service. As the AT&T Address Book creates its own service that is not accessible for synchronization (as it cannot be set as the default service for synchronization), the BlackBerry Desktop Software continues to synchronize with the default service and not the AT&T Address Book.

Users will notice that their AT&T Address Book data does not transfer to their PIM application on their computers, but that the computer information is stored in a separate service on the BlackBerry smartphone after synchronization. This is by design.

For more information regarding the AT&T Address Book, visit http://www.att.com/addressbook.

--

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

--
John Andrews
Solutions: 6,097
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How do I delete AT&T Address Book from My Torch?

What do you mean the "AT&T Address Book"?

Could you explain?

There is the main BlackBerry Address Book... do you mean this?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10

Re: How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

I would suggest doing a security wipe again, and this time not setting up the AT&T address book sync if you do not want to use it? Or if prompted, decline the agreement which should stop it working.

New Contributor
My Device: 9000

Re: How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

[ Edited ]

Make sure you've backed up your contacts or synced your "Default" contact list with your Outlook contacts (or whatever list you want to use on a go-forward basis.)

You'll have to contact AT&T's technical support to have them disable the AT&T Mailbox feature. (I did this via the chat option on their website in about 10 minutes.) Once the feature is disabled, you'll have to power off and power on your device.

Then, select "Contacts" from the device's main menu. Press the menu button and select "Options." Highlight the AT&T Address Book list under "Contact Lists." On the keyboard, type RSET. Select option to delete all contacts.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

With the help of someone from AT&T I was able to disable the AT&T address book and get my sync ot outlook working again.  The problem I now have, is that every so often, when I open contacts, the device automatically tries to activate the AT&T address book, and I have to go through the entire procedure again.  Has anyone discovered an ABSOLUTE way to ensure that the AT&T Address Book does not take over their system?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

Had the same problem...here's what I found - and so far, so good!

from blackberry.com:

1. Open the Address Book application on the BlackBerry smartphone
  2. Click the menu key and select Options from the menu
  3. Under "Contact Lists" scroll down to AT&T Address Book
  4. On the keyboard of the BlackBerry smartphone type RSET
  5. When prompted to erase the contact list and reload from the server select Yes

The address book database of the BlackBerry smartphone will now be cleared and new entries can be added to the Default contact list.

Should the AT&T Address Book be re-enabled then it may be necessary to perform these steps again in order to synchronize contacts.

Link is http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB24084&sliceID=1&command=show&forward=nonthr...

jni
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

When I first got the Torch 9800, I had the same issue. The way i figured out how to disable it was to do a secure wipe with all the connection turned off. Once your phone reboots make sure the connections are all off until you finish most of the set up. Once you've managed to setup everything besides email and bbm you should be able to turn back on all the connections again without it trying to connect with AT&T's address book again. Just be sure not to click on the icon in set and decline setting it up again if prompted. Hope this helps!
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch

@lisatreynolds... thank you so much for posting this. Worked like a charm.

New Contributor

BEWARE...I've continued to have the same problem each time I reboot the phone!! (And it only reared it's ugly head after I updated OS6 a few weeks ago!) AT&T rep says that I need to wipe phone in order for them to disable AT&T address book ...can't wipe phone while you're using it (and I don't have a land-line). I'm not convinced this will work - since I've already wiped it TWICE - AND changed the settings to NOT wireless sync AT&T address book. So until I have a chance to get to a land-line and spend quality time w/my friendly AT&T rep, each time I reboot my phone, I start back at step 1 ("open the Address book"), change Desktop Manager to a one-way sync (from Outlook to phone AND REPLACE all content on the phone), sync my phone (contacts are re-added to phone), then change back to "normal" sync - until the next reboot. It's a huge pain...so let me know if you have suggestions going forward!
New Contributor

UPDATE...just finished "LIVE CHAT" w/AT&T..."Bonita Sunshine" (no kidding) "deactived AT&T address book" and "removed it" from my account (those are quotes).  Sunshine waited while I turned the power off/on...at which time the registration process began - HOWEVER, this time it asked me to "accept the terms of service" - which I politely declined.  I've since done a hard reboot - and so far so good.  CREDIT goes to @bacarley's 11/23/2010 post!!