Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: How to get email thru WiFi without a Bb Data Plan from Provider

in which countries are you going ?
PAYG are more and more popular, and can go from one week to several months...

so if a given carrier only provides you with 12-month contracts, look for another carrier.

for instance in France, you can get a 3G+ 3GB BlackBerry contract + unlimited phone calls for 1 month for 20EUR (prepaid). Just one month and bye bye if you feel like it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

phuile wrote:
Sorry I would also like to add one thing - all BB plan offered to me is for at least 12 months. That's why I cannot have a bb plan when travelling.

You're going to have to have decide which you can do. Road on data while traveling, or not.

I do not recommend switching SIM cards in every country you go, I read too many horror stories of users who do this and their device IMEI/PIN gets stuck on the last carrier they used, and not transferred over automatically to the next carrier, and then you're stuck.

Yes, what Xandrex described above will work. Sometimes. Maybe.

The ideal way to handle this as I described initially above... roam on your home carrier plan and use WiFi as possible to save roaming data costs.

And, as Xandrex asked above, to what countries do yo expect to travel and for how long in each, approximately?

Is this personal travel or for your employer?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

If you have a Gmail account, you can access your email through the browser while on wifi at a Hotspot.